PDA

View Full Version : Do people you know..

CrnCnn
12/15/2006, 06:52 PM
Do people you know like your VX. Most of the people I know don’t care for it. They don’t understand the obsession. My stepfather likes it and only one co-worker even thinks it is slightly cool. Other than that My wife and I stand alone, unless Bart is nearby.

ZEUS
12/15/2006, 07:14 PM
Well just as some of the VX people don't understand my obsession for Jeeps, my Jeep people don't understand the VX either. Some auto enthusiasts I know respect the VX for what it is even if they don't appreciate the design. Most people I know have just accepted it's my ride and have nothing much too say. Except when they are with me they notice and comment how many people watch it go by.

CrnCnn
12/15/2006, 07:17 PM
Yeah one of the guys I work with is a HUGE jeep pervert, and Keeps trying to talk me into trading the VX in on a wrangler. Crazy fool, I would have both not one or the other.

etlsport
12/16/2006, 04:52 AM
i typically get good comments about my VX.. roommates girlfriend calls it 'that ugly thing' but when we all go out.. somehow i always get nominated to drive..
but when i go to parties, where there are modified cars parked as far as the eye can see, i can usually expect someone to pick out the VX and be like hey what the :eek: is that thing..

people who have ridden in it also love riding in it now for the looks, my friend kristin annouces each and every one every time.. kind of annoying.. but definately makes me feel good about my vx

Ldub
12/16/2006, 05:03 AM
There is very little grey area between love & hate with the VX...
I've had complete strangers come up to me & say :

"that's the UGLIEST car I've ever seen!"...or

(after following me for a mile or so)
"DUDE, that's the coolest truck I've ever SEEN!...WHAT THE ____ IS it???"

And were talking young & old, M & F, rich & not so, most every demographic.

Most of my friends like it, even the ones that make snide remarks, only do so out of jealousy. ;)

Jolly Roger VX'er
12/16/2006, 06:01 AM
I think that the area I reside in (in and around Erie, PA) is anti-import....most people here don't notice it anymore than a Toyota Rav or Kia Sportage or Suzuki suv. Its hurts me to say that but it is the truth.

Whenever I travel to the Pittsburgh, PA area...all of a sudden I notice people staring and walking up to ask questions. I drove in downtown Pittsburgh and I felt like a rockstar in a limo...lol. Some guy walked up to me at Lowe's and wanted to talk forever about my VX..he knew it was an ISUZU even though I debadged it but didn't know anything else about it...and he was shocked it was a 2000!

Unfortunately, the people I work with and neighbors as well as citizens of the Erie area either don't notice the VX or actually dislike it. When I chit-chat at work about regular maintenance I'm doing I usually get remarks like "what...do you think you own a Ferrari or Lamborgini or something...sheesh!" :rolleyes:

P.S.----Am I the only one that thinks Kia Sorentos are nice looking for a four-door?

Chopper
12/16/2006, 06:08 AM
only ever got one negative comment; going into an ABC to get beer, and the drunk/panhandler at the door, proclaimed the visible cladding bolts f'ing ugly. When on the way out, he asked me for change, I proclaimed his bicycle as, too ugly to be ridden by anyone with a shred of self respect, and walked away... the barrage of profanity aimed at me and my vehicle making me grin. Screwing with the mentally challenged?... Priceless!

Ldub
12/16/2006, 06:22 AM
LOL...you should write for Nat. Lamp. :p

WILLY
12/16/2006, 08:26 AM
everyone i know likes it,but i have had 2 people one male and one female tell me it looks like a ladies ride mmmmmmmmmmm that makes no sense to me cause i dont see it as a lady or a guys ride,just a cool ride,could be a bi ride lmfao or a metro ride,im stupid and talkin honk honk :eek:

nfpgasmask
12/16/2006, 11:13 AM
I get a lot of comments on it, mostly people saying its cool and wondering what it is. All the guys at Big-O crowded around my VX when I was getting the new rims mounted.

I think a lot of people simply think it is interesting because they have never seen one. A lot of people think it is way cool. And then there are several people who really think its ugly, but typically, the people who think its ugly think the Acura MDX is what SUVs should look like, so they don't bother me in the least.

Basically, its a VERY bold design, and not everyone can handle it. But personally, I'm used to being called a freak for the things I like, so it just rolls off. :)

And on the Jeep note, I watched John Carpenter's Vampires last night. They drive around in a Jeep that I must admit is pretty bad @55. The winch on the front looks sweet. If I was to own a Jeep, I would have to make it look like this one:

http://www.nofuture.com/dailys/jcjeep1.jpg

Bart

ZEUS
12/16/2006, 12:04 PM
Does that thing have two winches up front?!?! It looks like it.

nfpgasmask
12/16/2006, 12:10 PM
It might. Its just beefy as h3ll and looks awesome. Makes the otherwise boring look of the Jeep's front end look b!tch!n. ;)

Bart

Does that thing have two winches up front?!?! It looks like it.

ZEUS
12/16/2006, 12:26 PM
It might. Its just beefy as h3ll and looks awesome. Makes the otherwise boring look of the Jeep's front end look b!tch!n. ;)

Bart

Yep, two wenches on my front end would make me look pretty cool too! :eek: What was that you were saying about maturity at this forum again? :cool:

CrnCnn
12/16/2006, 12:51 PM
P.S.----Am I the only one that thinks Kia Sorentos are nice looking for a four-door?

no I also like the style of the sorento. Thought about buying before, but still uncertain about Kia's

vxDAKINECHICvx
12/16/2006, 01:21 PM
For the most part I get compliments on it....like yesterday when my mechanic friend was checking things out for me before I head out on my 'across country trek' to see famiy....everyone working in the dealership came by to look at it (all curious). Most had never seen one up close, so they were pretty excited. One called it a vegicross...I corrected her quickly. My ex bf absolutely hated it and thought it was the ugliest thing on the road everytime I talked about it. The current bf...finally admited to me that he never liked it at first, but tells me that it has surely grown on him since being around me...the chick who has an overwhelming passion for it. So all in all, I think its 50/50. You either like it or you dont. I still think its the best suv ever produced even though I have some complaints about it every now and then. AND I love the looks the VX gets when we drive past people.

Techy-D
12/16/2006, 01:22 PM
Back to the original question...

I've had my Vx for less than 2 months now, and I've heard many thoughts on it's looks.

My boss is the only one that said my VX was Ugly, but soon after changed to a slightly emberrased "Unusuall". I think he actually respects it for it's special features, but isn't into 4x4 stuff (besides he's not always that nice to me anyway).

Most of the guys at work really checked it out, and were impressed. One of them just couldn't get over the interior (red and black leather). Another guy said he looked at one when it was new but couldn't afford one... Said he's Jealous! Later in the week several got back to me and said their "expert" friends told them it was really a cool rig, so now they like it even more!

Add to that the comment from the girl at the Bank... She said it was "Cute". Not sure if that's good or not, but hey if you saw her you'd know that she's an expert on "Cute"!!!! :)

WormGod
12/18/2006, 08:19 AM
It's a love/hate thing with the VX. There is never a "it's not bad looking". Just "I hate it" or "I like it". It does however, get the thumbs up for it's powertrain, even from the haters.

With my friends, it's a weird mix. All of the guy slove it. My female friends.... I think maybe 1 or 2 like it. *shrug*

nfpgasmask
12/18/2006, 08:44 AM
Yeah, just the other day I was driving through the grocery store parking lot, and a younger girl and her mom were walking out, as they were crossing in front of me, the young girl pointed at the VX and although I couldn't hear what she said (windows up and music blasting), I could tell she said, "Cute car!"

To me, the VX is mean, nasty and tough looking, and never cute...but hey, I'll accept that from a girl I guess.

Bart

Add to that the comment from the girl at the Bank... She said it was "Cute". Not sure if that's good or not, but hey if you saw her you'd know that she's an expert on "Cute"!!!! :)

VXD959
12/18/2006, 09:22 AM
Well, I was in the company's parking lot today when a young lady approached me and asked: What kind of car is that??? After 5 minutes of me providing my "brief and proud" version of the uniqueness of a Vehicross...She replied: Nice...but it looks like an ugly frog!!!

LOL :p :p :p

nfpgasmask
12/18/2006, 09:57 AM
Dang dude, you should have been like, "BEOTCH! YOU look like an ugly frog!" :)

LOL, jk....

Bart

Well, I was in the company's parking lot today when a young lady approached me and asked: What kind of car is that??? After 5 minutes of me providing my "brief and proud" version of the uniqueness of a Vehicross...She replied: Nice...but it looks like an ugly frog!!!

LOL :p :p :p

PHO2GR4
12/18/2006, 10:03 AM
Only ONE of my friends ever disparaged my '99 Ironman. He told me it looked like I was driving a SHOE.

I hope, with the cladding, he at least meant a Nike or something.

Driving a shoe. Thanks, man. I love your minivan, too.

ZEUS
12/18/2006, 11:09 AM
This chick at work, last week, said to me, "That's your black SUV out there, right... parked near the front?" I told her it is. She said, "Not that my car is any better..." WHAT??? She drives an '84 Caprice or something! Don't rely on others to know what looks good!

Mark B
12/18/2006, 12:06 PM
The VX is a unique vehicle. I see lots of the same vehicles on the road but only another VX once in a while. If you put the VX in a line up with all other model SUV's, more people will ask about the VX that all others combined

Anita
12/18/2006, 01:14 PM
Quote from vxDAKINECHICvx

"My ex bf absolutely hated it and thought it was the ugliest thing on the road everytime I talked about it. The current bf...finally admited to me that he never liked it at first, but tells me that it has surely grown on him since being around me...the chick who has an overwhelming passion for it. "

I think most boyfriends/spouses of girl VX owners get jealous. A girl loving her VX ride is just too much for some guys... :rolleyes:

AlaskaVX
12/18/2006, 02:09 PM
My freinds like it, I am always the guy to drive when we car pool. The only gripe they have is getting in and out of the back seat. I used to get a negative comment here and there, is that a new RAV-4? It looks like a shoe, the usual. But since I have lifted it and put a winch on the front I get great comments "That thing is bad-***! what is it?" and "I bet that can go some places" and all the people I work with refer to it as "my buggy" which I love!

nfpgasmask
12/18/2006, 03:24 PM
I think it works both ways for sure...

I was at a pizza joint the other days, sitting across from my wife. The VX was parked right outside and I had a clear view of it looking just past my wife. I said to her, "I like this seat honey, cause I can look at the VX while I eat".

I don't think I need to explain what happened next.

:) Bart

Quote from vxDAKINECHICvx

"My ex bf absolutely hated it and thought it was the ugliest thing on the road everytime I talked about it. The current bf...finally admited to me that he never liked it at first, but tells me that it has surely grown on him since being around me...the chick who has an overwhelming passion for it. "

I think most boyfriends/spouses of girl VX owners get jealous. A girl loving her VX ride is just too much for some guys... :rolleyes:

Anita
12/18/2006, 03:40 PM
LOL, Bart!

After six years of ownership I do the same thing. I sit looking out at the truck whenever I can and wear a silly smile on my face.

Luckily I have a b/f who loves the VX just as much as me, but he always teases me by calling me a motorhead, which I'm not!

nfpgasmask
12/18/2006, 03:58 PM
Yeah, my wife likes the VX too, but anything that gets more attention that her....she slowly starts to hate ;)

I'm just very obsessive sometimes.

:eek: Bart

LOL, Bart!

After six years of ownership I do the same thing. I sit looking out at the truck whenever I can and wear a silly smile on my face.

Luckily I have a b/f who loves the VX just as much as me, but he always teases me by calling me a motorhead, which I'm not!

Jolly Roger VX'er
12/18/2006, 04:32 PM
And on the Jeep note, I watched John Carpenter's Vampires last night. They drive around in a Jeep that I must admit is pretty bad @55. The winch on the front looks sweet. If I was to own a Jeep, I would have to make it look like this one:

http://www.nofuture.com/dailys/jcjeep1.jpg

Bart

If I was to own a Jeep, I would have to make it look like this one:

From the Movie "Tombraider: The Cradle of Life"

http://www.difflock.com/buyersguide/newcars/jeep-tombraider/index.shtml

http://www.rockcrawler.com/features/newsshorts/03april/jeep_tombraidertj.asp

Cobrajet
12/19/2006, 05:52 AM
If I was to own a Jeep, I would have to make it look like this one:
If I were forced to own a Jeep, I would make it look like this one... (j/k)

http://img.viacomlocalnetworks.com/images_sizedimage_283061008/lg

CrnCnn
01/06/2007, 07:28 PM
I’ve noticed recently that people on my side of Reno almost give the VX dirty looks. Most of them are snobs any way driving all their brand new escalades.