PDA

View Full Version : FA-Fangs

JHarris1385
12/15/2006, 04:08 PM
Alright iv been thinking about this for a while. I was thinking about painting not the whole but just the chrome part of the fangs in red. Any thoughts about this. Remember im driving an IronMan. To accompany this extra red I would also like to paint the hooks and that flap that lays over the back of the gas tank.

If I was to do this, what kind of paint shall I need? I want to go with a Ferrari red. Thanks

etlsport
12/15/2006, 04:19 PM
please dont!! if you insist on painting them go with white to match your VX

Ldub
12/15/2006, 04:23 PM
Remove the grille (four bolts & 3 screws), remove the fang covers, expose the plastic under the covers, mask off & paint away !

Ck. Kennys gallery for painted red rear thingy.

I like Plasticote red brake calliper paint.

JHarris1385
12/15/2006, 04:29 PM
Ldub ...do you say no go? Or paint underneath to get an idea and then make a decision?

k4tmc
12/15/2006, 05:52 PM
First, since your VX is white, paint them white to match the rest of the VX.

However, if you insist on continuing with the red option, read further...

Second, before you apply paint, go to your local Home Depot (or hardware store), find the electrical supplies area and look for colored electrical tape by 3M. You should be able to find red, blue, green, yellow, and of course - black. Not sure if there is a "white" electrical tape. You could substitute some medical tape from a local pharmacy. Cut strips, and apply the tape over the area you are considering painting. Trim the excess with a sharp blade. Back away to a distance such that you cannot see the edges of the tape strips...and admire.

I found that removing the fangs from the grille made the above process a lot easier.

I posted a picture of my painted (proton yellow) fangs a month ago. I used the yellow tape first to make sure I was going to be happy before I applied actual paint. I also found that you will have to rough-up the area before applying paint. There is some kind of clearcoat finish on the fangs.

JHarris1385
12/15/2006, 06:21 PM
Im not sure white would look good. I think it would make the fangs turn into molars.

Ldub
12/15/2006, 06:56 PM
Ldub ...do you say no go? Or paint underneath to get an idea and then make a decision?

I was thinking just paint the plastic under the fang covers & keep the metal fangs on a shelf somewhere to re-install if you ever change your mind.

Ldub
12/15/2006, 07:06 PM
Here ya go...photo cred billyphxaz (?)

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/RED_FANGS_39billyphxaz_vx.jpg

Do a forums search for painted fangs for more.

ZEUS
12/15/2006, 07:26 PM
I voted "don't do it"... because I think it would look gimmicky (sp?, even a word?). If you do it though, maybe put some eyeliner around the headlights, and paint the horns gold! :eek: :p

That red fang look reminds me of my wanna be gothic phase when I had a black shirt that reflected a play titled "Vampire Lesbians of Sodom". Weird!

Ldub
12/16/2006, 04:53 AM

I abstained from voting...I think everyone should take my advice & do what they want...when all is said & done, It's you that has to like it.
If we were all the same, we'd probably be discussing mods on a Tercel forum.
(Do you guys think I should upgrade hubcaps from an 02 model on my 99 ?) :rolleyes:

I've done mods that some people think are...um, not so good...& that's OK, I like em'.

In mods, as in life, it's best to leave yourself with as many options open as possible.

Go boldly!

Chopper
12/16/2006, 06:13 AM
Im not sure white would look good. I think it would make the fangs turn into molars.
Buck teeth?