PDA

View Full Version : Ladies... Show me your...

biju
12/13/2006, 02:39 PM
...headrests.

yes, headrests. Men too I suppose. Mod junkies - Why do I not see any VX's with headrest monitors? Has this been done, but nobody's posted pictures yet? I'm curious to find out how large a monitor could fit, and still look good.

And yes, I know this isn't really a practical mod. But still curious...

-biju.

ZEUS
12/13/2006, 02:42 PM
My headrests are like my head - empty!

nfpgasmask
12/13/2006, 02:49 PM
My back seats are gone, so I don't know who would be watching! ;)

Speaking of little screens tho, I am still in need of a 4.5" or 5" LCD with at least 2 input jacks that can be switched between.

I want to pull one of my center a/c vents and put in a small screen, attached to a rear view camera and one to my in-dash JVC DVD player.

I know Clarion makes some small screen and so does Lillipod but I haven't found anything just right yet....I need to fly over to Japan and hit the Shinjuku Technology district, I bet I could find one there!

Bart

Techy-D
12/13/2006, 03:20 PM
...headrests.

yes, headrests. Men too I suppose. Mod junkies - Why do I not see any VX's with headrest monitors? Has this been done, but nobody's posted pictures yet? I'm curious to find out how large a monitor could fit, and still look good.

And yes, I know this isn't really a practical mod. But still curious...

-biju.

I think you were right in addressing the question to the women, Cuzz only women have eyes in the back of their head... Right? :) :p ;) :eek:

ZEUS
12/13/2006, 03:25 PM
How about mounting up quick release PSP's in the headrests?

Anita
12/13/2006, 03:34 PM
I think you were right in addressing the question to the women, Cuzz only women have eyes in the back of their head... Right? :) :p ;) :eek:

You are wise beyond your years... :naughty:

nfpgasmask
12/13/2006, 03:34 PM
That would be pimpy. I'll whoop ur @ss in Tekken when I come to Moab ;)

Bart

How about mounting up quick release PSP's in the headrests?

rowhard
12/13/2006, 04:04 PM
Well, since it was brought up, I'll ask again. Anyone know how to remove the darn things? :confused:
(that's the front one's)

vxDAKINECHICvx
12/13/2006, 05:07 PM

Ahhh, yes. :p

WormGod
12/14/2006, 07:39 AM
You know, a couple years ago, I planned on mounting an LCD in the passenger headrest since i put an XBox in the VX in case I ever have a boring camping trip. Instead, LCD is mounted up front by the shifters.... for now. Maybe that headrestmount is something I should try to continue.... next spring, heh.

pbkid
12/14/2006, 10:03 AM
first, gasmask------> you've got a match!

second, biju, this weekend when im really bored at work between 9-11pm when no one comes into circuit city ill check my manufacturers that made headrest monitors and see if i can get ahold of one that would match the VX...or you might have to look around until you can find a more generic vehicle with black leather that the headrest would fit in the VX....
just to let you know, pricing ranges from 1500 to 1700 per set...

nfpgasmask
12/14/2006, 10:38 AM
Ur on! I pwn you with Kuma! LOL!

Also, do you ever see small LCDs (4"-5") from any of you suppliers? I want something real simple, don't even need speakers, just a small display with a toggle for 2 different video sources.

Bart

first, gasmask------> you've got a match!

second, biju, this weekend when im really bored at work between 9-11pm when no one comes into circuit city ill check my manufacturers that made headrest monitors and see if i can get ahold of one that would match the VX...or you might have to look around until you can find a more generic vehicle with black leather that the headrest would fit in the VX....
just to let you know, pricing ranges from 1500 to 1700 per set...

ZEUS
12/14/2006, 10:46 AM
I'm glad someone accepted the challenge - that means you are the one to install PSP's in your headrests!! :p

MZ-N10
12/14/2006, 12:33 PM
why would u install a psp in ur headrest? how r u gonna be able to play it?

pbkid
12/14/2006, 12:37 PM
ok first bart, ill take you with kazuya (sp)....second on a serious note....
no not really just a monitor that small, the best i could say would be this,
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Audiovox-Video-Rear-view-Mirror-with-4-Color-LCD-RVMPKG3/sem/rpsm/oid/151401/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
and that comes with a camera that hooks right to it, along with an extra aux input for video or whatever you wanted it for...we have it hooked up in the store with the camera on one option and a dvd player on the other...its actually pretty cool...thinking about getting one myself...

ZEUS
12/14/2006, 12:52 PM
why would u install a psp in ur headrest? how r u gonna be able to play it?

Hey, people put LCD screens in their wheelwells, front bumpers, rear seat headrests... that's useless! The PSP in the headrest is at least a usable idea. I posted earlier the PSP would be in a quick release mount.

nfpgasmask
12/14/2006, 12:54 PM
HHHHHWHIIIP! HHHHHWHIIIP!

:)

The closest I have found is something like this:

Clarion LCD (http://cgi.ebay.com/CLARION-VMA5894-5-8-LCD-HEADREST-CAR-VIDEO-MONITOR-SALE_W0QQitemZ180062444235QQihZ008QQcategoryZ94849 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Something like this might work for a headrest display too.

I just want something a little smaller, but this Clarion screen has everything I need.

Bart

ok first bart, ill take you with kazuya (sp)....second on a serious note....
no not really just a monitor that small, the best i could say would be this,
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Audiovox-Video-Rear-view-Mirror-with-4-Color-LCD-RVMPKG3/sem/rpsm/oid/151401/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
and that comes with a camera that hooks right to it, along with an extra aux input for video or whatever you wanted it for...we have it hooked up in the store with the camera on one option and a dvd player on the other...its actually pretty cool...thinking about getting one myself...

PHO2GR4
12/14/2006, 01:05 PM
At least he didn't say "Show us your...headlights!"

Speaking of LCD screens, do people really play videogames in their VXs?

I'm looking for a good navigation system w/LCD screen, but I never even considered hooking up a videogame to it.

When I'm in my VX, all I wanna do is take my dog on a flyfishing trip!

nfpgasmask
12/14/2006, 01:22 PM
Yeah, even though I thoroughly enjoy a good smack down in Tekken, I don't think I would go out of my way to get a game system built into my VX. I would however like to get the LCD in my dash for the rear view cam and also to hook up to my head unit, cause it can play DVDs and it would just be cool to watch Full Metal Jacket out of the corner of my eye on a long drive...

I think this would be perfect for me, but its a little pricey and might actually be discontinued:

Even smaller Clarion (http://audiovideodimension.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=467&currency=USD)

For something like this, would I want to wire it to constant power or something? This would be my only challenge is getting the wiring right.

Bart

At least he didn't say "Show us your...headlights!"

Speaking of LCD screens, do people really play videogames in their VXs?

I'm looking for a good navigation system w/LCD screen, but I never even considered hooking up a videogame to it.

When I'm in my VX, all I wanna do is take my dog on a flyfishing trip!

kpaske
12/14/2006, 01:22 PM
You probably won't get much of a response to a serious question with a title like that - a lot of us skip over the chit chat if we just want to keep up with the mods and maintenance threads. But anyhow, since I'm here... ;Db;

IIRC there were one or two folks who installed tiny LCD's in the change pocket to the left of the steering wheel. They might be good as a novelty, or for a backup camera or something, but probably more trouble than they are worth.

I also think there was at least one VX with head rest mounted LCD's. It's a custom job, and it's not cheap. If there are prefab replacements out that for another vehicle that would fit the VX (or could be made to fit), that would probably be the easiest and cheapest way to go and as long as the match was pretty decent, it would be as good as any custom job or better. If the match from front to back isn't real good you could always replace the rears also (not with LCD's, but with something that matches well).

I had seriously considered installing some for my kids in the back seat, but decided against it because we have two cars, and the VW is the car we would take on longer trips. In our situation, it makes much more sense to spend $200-300 for a dual LCD solution with headrest mounting straps that can be moved between vehicles than to spend $1200-1500 on something that would be under utilized.

-KP

etlsport
12/14/2006, 01:27 PM
ive got my ps2 wired into my vx.. but havent actually used it

ive used my screen for 3 things..

navigate mp3 disc playlists
watch a movie while waiting for a table at a resteraunt
as a computer monitor (to diplay maps on long drives, and when im workin on the inside of the vx and have directions ill bring up the directions on the screen because theres no good place to set my laptop)

ZEUS
12/14/2006, 01:32 PM
Speaking of LCD screens, do people really play videogames in their VXs? I'm looking for a good navigation system w/LCD screen, but I never even considered hooking up a videogame to it.

I have taken a PS2 on a road trip in a Tahoe once and that was nice - play games till your bored, then pop in a DVD. So if I did let other people drive my VX (which I don't) I guess I would play a game or two on a trip in my VX, why not? PSP's play games and movies as well... but I would rather take my laptop.

pbkid
12/14/2006, 02:42 PM
well bart, if i still have my DVD player in my VX when we go to moab ill bring my PS2 so we can play at night when we are have a little more time =)

nfpgasmask
12/14/2006, 02:51 PM
As much fun as DVDs, games, music and laptops are, I must say that it is also quite nice to "unplug" every once in a while, especially in a place like Moab...

Boy, this thread got FUBAR. Sorry biju!

Bart

Raque Thomas
12/14/2006, 06:47 PM
Wal-Mart has a 10" LCD that flips down to reveal the DVD player behind it for $99.99. For an extra $10, you get a pretty nice looking mount that allows the whole unit to swivel where it could be seen by someone in the front. Hard to describe - and hard to imagine that Wally World has anything worth putting in your vehicle - but this thing looks pretty darn nice. The mount attaches to the headrest posts, so it eliminates the problem of removing the headrests. Comes with 2 IR headsets and a remote - check it out.

biju
12/14/2006, 06:57 PM
Boy, this thread got FUBAR. Sorry biju!

Bart

PIRATES! ALL OF YOU! HIJACK MY THREAD WILL YA? BLARGH!

I guess nobody's installed them yet (or has, and just haven't seen this thread yet). I might have another surprise come Moab then. That is if I have the time... Gesh, it's only a few months away...

-biju.

-

nfpgasmask
12/14/2006, 09:26 PM
Just came from Wally World tonight and I saw the LCD you are talking about. Its actually not bad, and would be nice just to have on hand. Problem for me is that its still too big for what I want to do...

Bart

Wal-Mart has a 10" LCD that flips down to reveal the DVD player behind it for $99.99. For an extra $10, you get a pretty nice looking mount that allows the whole unit to swivel where it could be seen by someone in the front. Hard to describe - and hard to imagine that Wally World has anything worth putting in your vehicle - but this thing looks pretty darn nice. The mount attaches to the headrest posts, so it eliminates the problem of removing the headrests. Comes with 2 IR headsets and a remote - check it out.

colmhd
12/16/2006, 12:09 PM
I've been considering this puppy, to keep my puppy amused until we get there, where-ever?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=007&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=170056090062&rd=1&rd=1