PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye to the VX Board

thebear54
12/13/2006, 05:32 AM
I have decided to end my VehiCROSS.info postings and affiliation.....

It has been an interesting ride but it is time to move on. I have met some interesting people, attended a few nice meets and enjoyed swapping information.

My gut feeling,unfortunately, is that there is way too much apathy and lack of enthusiasm for the VehiCROSS and the board. When there is a meet scheduled very few members actually show up to participate.

Goodbye and good luck

John

Bimati
12/13/2006, 06:18 AM
To reply or not to reply...that is the question.

I guess it boils down to personal preferences. We are all unique individuals with different wants, needs and expectations.

I must say that the "I'm better than you, so I'm leaving" attitude usually doesn't work well for most people...let us know how it works for you.

Good luck to you in the future....I could write more, but I'm feeling a bit apathetic. ;)

Take care,
Bim

ojmagg
12/13/2006, 06:32 AM
I just want everyone to know that I'm mr. pouty pants...

biju
12/13/2006, 06:50 AM
Hello John. And I guess Goodbye.

Not sure where the sense of apathy comes from. Most everybody I speak to or have met through this forum is gonzo for their VX. Shoot, I bought two for crying out loud. :p

Strange...

Best of luck to you.

-biju.

driver3
12/13/2006, 06:55 AM
That's hilarious.....

go to moab...

wait, no... don't

Triathlete
12/13/2006, 08:05 AM
That's hilarious.....

go to moab...

wait, no... don't

Took the words out of my mouth!

ZEUS
12/13/2006, 08:14 AM
Well isn't that convenient!? Are you going to give me a partial refund before you run off? :rolleyes:

nfpgasmask
12/13/2006, 08:25 AM
Well, I can sort of understand what John is saying. But the fact of the matter, is that:

1) Not everyone is online as often as we are
2) Not everyone is as social as we are
3) And some people have a VX, but it is just their car, nothing more

Bottom line, is we can't expect everyone to be as enthusiastic about VXs as we Super VXers are. I PMed 8 or so others from the board about the Reno meet, and only got 1 reply. But you can't be upset about it. Its just the way it is. Hopefully I will see all you Super VXers in Moab in May! I'm really trying to find a way!

But thats all the more reason for us to get crunk about our trucks, and keep things alive. I love my VX, and I hope I stay juiced up about it for a long time. For me, there was nothing like getting a vehicle you have always wanted. 1 down, 1 to go!

Good luck John,

Bart

kobie
12/13/2006, 08:47 AM
It sounds like this is related more to the sale (or lack thereof) of items and less about the board itself. I can't see how someone who collects so much would just leave all of a sudden. If I were that disgusted with the board I'd just stop visiting- I wouldn't post it.

Doesn't Paypal go after fraudulent sellers?

ZEUS
12/13/2006, 08:55 AM
For me, personally, I would rather settle this dispute without "Big Brother" PayPal. I am hoping bear will just man up and contact me... he was big on contacting people to get a sale so I don't know what the problem is. I may have to file a dispute afterall. :(

nfpgasmask
12/13/2006, 09:23 AM
Paypal will typically side with the buyer if they make a claim. If the seller cannot provide proof of shipment (IE, tracking, delivery confirmation, insurance, etc) Paypal will almost always side with the buyer.

Bart

It sounds like this is related more to the sale (or lack thereof) of items and less about the board itself. I can't see how someone who collects so much would just leave all of a sudden. If I were that disgusted with the board I'd just stop visiting- I wouldn't post it.

Doesn't Paypal go after fraudulent sellers?

PHO2GR4
12/13/2006, 10:17 AM
"Lack of enthusiasm"?!?

I just bought my SECOND VX and have been posting like a madman.

I've never even HEARD of this "bear" poster until today...and it looks like he may be stiffing people for some money.

Hmmm. I wouldn't be very enthusiastic about THAT. But I love my VX!

Ldub
12/13/2006, 11:32 AM
I have decided to end my VehiCROSS.info postings and affiliation.....

It has been an interesting ride but it is time to move on. I have met some interesting people, attended a few nice meets and enjoyed swapping information.

My gut feeling,unfortunately, is that there is way too much apathy and lack of enthusiasm for the VehiCROSS and the board. When there is a meet scheduled very few members actually show up to participate.

Goodbye and good luck

John

Hmmm...seems kinda odd that he'd take Mt. Tabor, VT off his profile & substitute usa ca, US.
If it weren't for my underwhelming apathy & Jimmy crack corn attitude, I might wonder about a move like that. :_thinking

Oh well, buh-bye then... :wave:

climbcovey
12/13/2006, 11:48 AM
AS for member "rarley showing up at meets" Some of us work multiple jobs, have families and priorities in our lives. This does not mean we are apathetic or don't LOVE our VX's. Maybe its just that some of us do'nt get much time off, and if we Don't show up at work to go to a meet....PEOPLE DIE! So tell me what make you a better person than us? :flame2:

Ok, I feel better. I hate fake people. By the way thank you all for your comments and suggestions regarding my major problem thread. All is now well, and I could'nt have done it without you! :thumbup:

creeg
12/13/2006, 12:06 PM
Whatever.

I dont care.

:p

PHO2GR4
12/13/2006, 12:13 PM
Hey Climbcovey,

After doing some online "research", I've come to the conclusion that his reasons for leaving have NOTHING to do with people 'not going to meets'.

Heck, I'VE gone to meets, and I'm way the heck up in the NW corner of the country!

There's something underhanded going on with this guy. I'm not really sure why he felt he needed to leave with a parting shot to the forum. It only drew negative attention his way, it seems.

cyronman
12/13/2006, 01:50 PM
not like my 2 cents is needed one way or another, but....

IMO there didn't seem to be any apathy from individuals wanting the models this guy was selling was there? or the ones that still haven't received them or a refund or an explanation?
speaking of being apathetic...

but, to each his own

Mikeys00vx
12/13/2006, 02:28 PM
I've since sold my VX to better position myself to buy a house, but I STILL come back to this site at least 3 times a week to see whats going on!

When I had the VX for sale, I received numerous calls about it, and each time I referred the prospective buyer to this website to learn all he/she could about the VX! I knew that person could make an informed decision about buying a VX just by visiting and searching through this forum.

I'll own another VX one day, but in the meantime i'll be hanging out seeing whats going on with everyone!

Mikey

Bulldoggie
12/13/2006, 05:06 PM
AS for member "rarley showing up at meets" Some of us work multiple jobs, have families and priorities in our lives. This does not mean we are apathetic or don't LOVE our VX's. Maybe its just that some of us do'nt get much time off, and if we Don't show up at work to go to a meet.... :thumbup:

I wish I could take time off for a meet that is 1,500 miles from home. Moab is not the only place to test your four wheelin'. But it does seem to be the only meets that are on the board. Work and family DO take priority to playing in the outback, where metal often gets broken. Adding even more cost to a very expensive trip. Thanks for all the great action shots, if I get a chance to post something worthy in the 'extream' action gallery, I'll be happy to be among them.

CrnCnn
12/13/2006, 05:37 PM
I love my VX and am currently trying to buy another one. I dissagree alot with things that are said here and maybe read too much into things but I still enjoy being apart of it all.

Clint

Chopper
12/13/2006, 05:50 PM
John who?? what?? ...oh..ciao...Brown bear, Black bear, White bear, Extinct bear... see ya round bear....aaaaa, go eat a friggin berry, bear........

CrnCnn
12/13/2006, 05:54 PM
oh yeah, and see ya later.

Dont know you but it doesnt sound like youll be missed

technocoy
12/13/2006, 06:43 PM
those who don't realize whats going on need to see the thread pertaining to the RC vehicross toys.

Bear, all I can say to you is what goes around comes around and Karma's a B*&%H.

You better give it some serious thought before you ditch on this forum leaving that many people pissed off about being stiffed.

the nerve. wow.

Joe Isuzu
12/13/2006, 06:44 PM
OK, coming from a "newbie" to this site, I'd like to add my 2 cents. I've been a member of the Triumph Club, Fiero Club, Allante Club, Alfa Romeo Club, Quattro (now Audi) Club and the BMW Club. Some of those clubs were much more active than others. However, I disagree that this club has apathy towards events or is just not worth joining. Especially when you consider that this is all geared towards just one model and not a whole marque. Yea, the Fiero and Allante clubs were also geared towards only one model, but gee whiz, there are a WHOLE lot more of those cars running around than VX's. I mean, consider a little over 4k sold in the US, what, maybe 500 are dead or no longer running, so for a club with only 3500 POSSIBLE members, I think we do really well. Yes, with me being in SC I don't envision ever driving across country just to be in an event, but I know I can count on this site with advice when a problem or question comes up. That in and of itself it worth it to me.

Bimati
12/13/2006, 07:09 PM
24+ reply posts in 14 hours from dedicated VXers? Sweet.

For those of you who believe that sometimes good comes from bad, I believe "Bringdown Bear" has brought me closer to the group.....at least that's how I feel. Don't attack my family, you arrogant a$$pickle.

Bim

Pghachey
12/13/2006, 07:26 PM
I thoroughly enjoy reading your guys' messages to each other, the helpful hints & offers to drive to each other's cities to give help & support, and the priceless information this website offers. I love my VX, and I wish & hope to someday join the group of loyal 4-wheelers on a trek cross-country. But, I too have family obligations at this time that take priority over playing with friends. I don't know why this guy went off, but nobody here deserves to ridiculed for not being totally into their cars, trucks or suv's. Most of us view our VX's as a fun mode of daily transportation and enjoy being unique in our communities. Thanks to everyone here whoposts and offers priceless information. So far, it's been a great 11 months of VX ownership and I'm looking forward to many years.

Paul :cool:

Pghachey
12/13/2006, 07:29 PM
I meant Good Bye to "the bear", not to everyone else. :eek:

Ldub
12/13/2006, 07:29 PM
24+ reply posts in 14 hours from dedicated VXers? Sweet.Bim

Apathy,... bordering on passion..:cool:... What a sad bunch we are. :biggringr :dance:

pbkid
12/13/2006, 07:36 PM
wow this is really impressive how many posts came on this one thread so fast...the only ones i see go faster are the ones that say "free stuff" haha

kobie
12/13/2006, 07:40 PM
thebear54 = Charlie Wenzel?

Triathlete
12/13/2006, 09:51 PM
thebear54 = Charlie Wenzel?

Kobie beat me to the punch. Good thing he wasn't hanging out at Pirate 4x4...

nocturnalVX
12/13/2006, 10:27 PM
, is that there is way too much apathy and lack of enthusiasm for the VehiCROSS and the board. When there is a meet scheduled very few members actually show up to participate.

Goodbye and good luck

John

I know some VehiCROSS owners arenot interested in joining our little online family. Some have no interest in risking "trail-trophies" by taking thier beloved VXes off-roading. Many members miss out on meets (local and/or national) due to things like work, family, finances, illness, etc. However, I have NEVER met a more diverse group of people that were so crazed about a vehicle. Many are members of multiple forums (4x4wire, mwior, pirate4x4), and are always willing to share knowledge, opinion, humor, and help... "apathy and lack of enthusiasm"? I don't think so!

I was a member of a Fiero group, and went to a few rallies, cruise nights, and dinners... I never hung out with any of them outside club events, and I never truly became friends with anyone from that group.

I have some great friends that I met simply because we shared a passion for the ISUZU VehiCROSS. I have driven thousands of miles to hang out with some. I've taken off work to hang out with others that happened to be in town. Some are local. Some live very far away. Some no longer own a VehiCROSS (or never did... can't leave out all my non-VX 'Zoids), but that does not make them any less a friend. I'm glad to have each and every one in my life... even the ones I have not met yet!

WormGod
12/14/2006, 07:49 AM
I am not even sure what is proved by posting that, except to make an subtle, but visibly offensive remark towards the site and the participants. Heck, if you wanna go, just go.... no need to take a pot shot at everyone on your way out. :rolleyes:

And sorry you feel that way. I am on my 2nd VX and for the past 5 years I have always been appreciative and enthusiastic about the VX. It sounds like your resentment of the community stems from YOUR lack of these things in the VX? :confused:

You wanna see some horrid boards, go spend some time at NASIOC.com (Subaru site). The people there will make you want to take your life.

Good luck to you and your VX out there in the lonely world....

kpaske
12/14/2006, 08:11 AM
24+ reply posts in 14 hours from dedicated VXers?If that isn't a clear rebuttal to his claims of apathy and a lack of enthusiasm, I don't know what is.

Don't attack my family, you arrogant a$$pickle.LMFAO! I love the loyalty, but I don't even want to think about what the heck an a$$pickle is!!!

I don't know this guy, nor have I followed the RC Car thread, but he's obviously no longer interested in being a productive member of the group, so... don't let the door hit you in the a$$pickle on your way out! :D:D:D

Ldub
12/14/2006, 08:25 AM
LMFAO! I love the loyalty, but I don't even want to think about what the heck an a$$pickle is!!!

so... don't let the door hit you in the a$$pickle on your way out! :D:D:D

LOL Kyle, that was my thought...A$$pickle ???...WTF ? :_confused :_wtf:

kpaske
12/14/2006, 09:53 AM
LOL Kyle, that was my thought...A$$pickle ???...WTF ? :_confused :_wtf:You gotta love colorful metaphors... Or did he mean a$$pickle literally? :_wtf: :_huh:

JoFotoz
12/14/2006, 11:04 AM
I purchased headlight covers and tail light covers from him....

...he sent them quickly , and was a pleasure to deal with.

I hope thats "passionate and enthusiastic" for you bear....

Heck ...I'd say more....but I'm being overcome by a raging dose of pococurantism !

jo

PHO2GR4
12/14/2006, 11:18 AM
I went and did it...

...so you don't have to!!!!
----------------------------------------

2 results for: pococurantism

po·co·cu·ran·te [poh-koh-koo-ran-tee, -rahn-, -kyoo-; It. paw-kaw-koo-rahn-te] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, plural -ti [-tee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation, adjective
–noun
1. a careless or indifferent person.
–adjective
2. caring little; indifferent; nonchalant.
[Origin: 1755–65; < It: lit., caring little. See [poh-koh-koo-ran-tiz-uhm, -rahn-, -kyoo-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation, po·co·cu·ran·te·ism, noun

Triathlete
12/14/2006, 11:45 AM
Big words :rolly: :rolly: :bwgy:

ZEUS
12/14/2006, 12:13 PM
I can't even say that word!

ISCE
12/14/2006, 12:49 PM
Heck,

I look at the new posts almost EVERY day. But, having been here for far too long with VERY little posting... doesn't mean I have a lack of passion. I am not sure what Bear expects. You guys have always been great... and one of the BIG reasons I usually don't have to post is that someone has already figured out what is going on and all I had to do was use the search.

Great site. Great VX owners. This is one of the reasons the VX continues to be a passion - this great community. Thanks to you all!

Jay

PHO2GR4
12/14/2006, 01:19 PM
Jay's right...you don't have to post in order to enjoy the wealth of information already online here. I lurked for a couple of years after I sold my '99 Ironman (RIP), simply because I missed my VX! I've become active again because of my recent '99 Ebony VX purchase.

Some of my posts rehash old information, but only because I need to find out if there's been any NEW information!

I wish there was a way to track the actual usage of this forum...not just how many posts are made by a few regulars, but how many people actually read the new AND old threads.

I've done searches on almost all types of topics: mechanical, tech specs, tires-n-wheels, audio, repair, detailing, etc...all the way back to the beginning of this forum!

How many of you guys are old-timers from the days of club.vmag.com? I miss that forum! I can remember when we "switched" over here. Look how much this forum has grown! And look how much nicer it is!

To the mods: wonderful job. I hope we can all stick around for years.

thebear54
12/14/2006, 01:49 PM
Apathy....yes! Crying About It....hell No.
I Have On This Board For A Lot Of Years, Helped Out Tons Of Vx People And Posted More Than My Share Of Information.

Being The Only Forum Member In The Whole State Has It's Drawbacks...but I, One More Than Three Occassions, Have Travelled 4 + Hours To Attend Vx Meets.each Event Brought Out Fewer And Fewer Members,so I Stopped Going.
I Even Set Up My Own Website Just Around The Vx....dumped That After A Year And A Half Due To Lack Of Participation.

I Still Own My Ironman Which I Am Keeping (probably Get Buried In It) But I'll Just Do My Own Thing

John

BlackVX
12/14/2006, 02:04 PM
I agree with Jay.

Well as for me. I have 4698 new post to read since my last visit.
The truth is that no matter how you want to leave this place, you're always going to be back sooner or later! You can't escape the Vehicross mojo.

I kind miss you guys. I'm glad to see that Anita and Greg are still around.

Michael

JHarris1385
12/14/2006, 02:29 PM
I smell a cry baby......

kpaske
12/14/2006, 02:33 PM
...but I'm being overcome by a raging dose of pococurantism !Funny, I was just overcome by a raging urge to consult a dictionary! ;Db;

...But I'll Just Do My Own Thing...Like you do with your capitalization?

Look, I'm not sure what you're so frustrated about, but your claim that the people on this forum are apathetic is just simply not true. In two days you got four pages / 46 responses telling you that you're wrong.

As with all forums, there are deadbeats and spammers and trolls and everything else, but in my experience, this forum in particular caters to a more mature crowd than most. If you aren't getting anything out of it, you're welcome to go elsewhere. Nobody is going to beg you to stay. But when you need an answer to a question about your VX, where else are you going to go? To your local dealer?!?

thebear54
12/14/2006, 02:34 PM
Like you said Micheal....I'll probably be back

AS FOR THE "CRY BABY" COMMENT...Doesn't even deserve a reply. I think being on this board as long as I have been, I can say what's on my mind

Choonks
12/14/2006, 03:27 PM
Ok guys. I’ve been tuning into this forum for almost two years now and I can certainly say that I too respect all the useful information that’s been traded amongst each other the entire time. You’ll also notice that I haven’t posted much of anything because like someone else mentioned earlier, by the time they get around to asking, the question has already been asked/answered by someone else. Furthermore, usually when there’s a disagreement between some of you, it’s usually resolved by agreeing to disagree. But I have to give my $.02 in this case: ‘thebear54’ might have come across wrong to some of you – actually to a whole lot of you from what I read, but that’s no reason to attack him is it?? Some of you have mentioned that this forum, as opposed to other forums you’ve frequented, has a lot of mature and respectable members. So why are we demonstrating otherwise with the assault to our fellow member’s (be it former or otherwise) character?? We don’t know why he feels the way he does – no one bothered to inquire about that. Anyone bothered to send him a PM and ask if everything was ok? Or even to let him know that you’re there to lend an ear if he ever feels like venting?? Instead, it was just an automatic lashing out at him because he said something you didn’t like?? C’mon! We call ourselves family on this board – don’t we? And we’re talking about someone that’s been a member since 2004!! Well, I agree with him when he said he’s been a member long enough and he should be able to speak his mind – he’s right – he should…without being ostracized by the same people that has in the past taken his advice on VX related issues as well as agreed with him on other positive things! Now y’all can bash me too if you like – I’ll still come back time after time after time and read up on things and enjoy the hilarious comments I read and LOL to myself. Please, please lets stop with the hating on this man and show him some famous VX.info comradery (sp?) and concern. And just for the record…no, I’m not saying what I said because I told him I was gonna buy a couple magazines from him and didn’t get around to it – not the reason in the least. The reason is because I have always looked up to this forum and the brilliant-minded people here; and what I’ve been reading on this thread is unlike the character of the individuals I’ve looked up to and respected for almost 2 years – and I just don’t want the image that I have of you guys to be shattered by the words that are coming off the tip of your fingers. Now there’s an issue to “rethink”!

Ursula

Bimati
12/14/2006, 04:05 PM
He speaks his mind, we speak ours.....to each his own, and God bless freedom of speech and thought.

Group feelings and character change over time, Ursula. I respect your opinion and your input as I am sure we all do. Thanks for the post. :)

Bear's original post insulted many of us on this board and some people react, and some people don't. I can't change the fact that I was insulted simply from your post. I happen to think that gross generalizations directed at a group are infantile and unwarranted.

Therefore, I react with mature and dignified words like A$$pickle....now if you'll excuse me, I need to call my mom.

Bim

ZEUS
12/14/2006, 04:31 PM
Ursula,

I understand what you are saying - you put it eloquently. However, please understand I have to defend myself as I feel I have had a part in how this man has decided to go about things. I don't feel any regret for what I have said about him concerning our unresolved transaction. For me, it is just that, a unresolved transaction made on this forum. His own private feelings about this forum, the VehiCROSS, and his collection of memorabilia, all have no ill effect on me. He chose a strange and somewhat insulting way to say goodbye to all these people he claims to have befriended. I don't know the truth behind his actions, but I am suspicious, I admit it. Perhaps I would have sent him a concerned PM regarding his decision to leave the site had he answered my first two PM's... And maybe this is all a "Three's Company" misunderstanding; I don't know. Time will tell. He has finally contacted me about our transaction, so hopefully he and I will get everything resolved. You are right in saying he has the right to express his dissatisfaction and opinion but I believe anyone who was insulted by him also has the right to express the same (and there are many). Just as you have expressed you own dissatisfaction to us - it's fair. It is sad this has come about for whatever reason, no doubt.

So, John (bear54), are you ok? Is there some way you would like to defend yourself? Anything to report? Is your comment about being buried in you VX a hint of health problems or something? If not, just know leaving the forum will only aid in alienating yourself from the few who understand passion for the VX, whether you see it in them/us or not.

Justin

Jolly Roger VX'er
12/14/2006, 04:52 PM
This is an awkward situation for me to post comment on; because, I've met John personally last summer in Vermont during a meet he set up: "VX-Plore Vermont" and have nothing but good things to say about him.
I remember him taking the time to ask first if there was sufficient interest in having a meet and then setting it up. I was pumped because it was my first meet and by the posts it sounded like we were going to have about 9 VX'ers show up. Plus, John's vision for a meet included alot of different activities to keep things fun & interesting (such as renting a Land Rover at the nearby off-road school and learning various off-road techniques!). The meet wound up being just the 3 of us and the one VX'er couldn't stay more than a couple of hours. So basically John & I hung out for an afternoon; and I want to thank John again for making the best of it. I for one was disappointed it didn't turn out like I thought but I'm still glad I got to meet John...see some of Vermont for the first time, check out his expansive VX collection, and climb & descend Mt. Equinox in my VX!
Personally, I feel as though all of the successful meets that were not too far away for me to attend happened before I joined this great site.
I realize that with everyone's busy schedules it's nearly impossible to get everyone interested on the same page.
I guess in some ways I was bummed out too this year because everytime I had some time off I didn't see any meets happening. I don't know if I can ever make it to Moab...I'd love too for sure...but that would require about all of my yearly time off in one shot....still...it would probably be worth it! ;)
I ask that you all try and take John's comments as not a personal attack on this site or its members...but, more of his disappointment in what he sees as a decline in interest of us WANTING to get together, meeting up, spending a day or two engaging in amusing/fun-filled activities.

JHarris1385
12/14/2006, 05:02 PM
Choonks are you a pre-school teacher?

Raque Thomas
12/14/2006, 05:34 PM
Guys, I don't know John nor the reason for his comments - but I can tell those of you who ordered from him, I think he will make it good. I sent him a Pay Pal for one of the VX toys that someone beat me to and he immediately refunded my money, even though it cost him on Pay Pal to do so. My impression of him because of that was that he was a stand-up guy. Sure would like to hear a better explanation though of the reasons he feels as he does.

Jim Hanzak
12/14/2006, 05:39 PM
:) I may not be on here that much, nor have I attended a meet yet. But, I am Mr. Enthusiastic with my VX. I hug it, I squeeze it, and Im gonna love it forever.

BBVX
12/14/2006, 06:03 PM
Zeus, I'm pretty sure you had nothing to do with John's decision to leave or reason for posting.

I also have met John on several occasions and can personally understand wher he is coming from. If I had to guess, I would say it has nothing to to with posting on the board at all. Obviously we are all very attached to our vehicles and none of us enjoy hearing negative things about them or ourselves, but I don't think that's what John was doing.

Check out my past posts and my gallery and you'll see that shortly after I bought my VX, I started arranging meets. If you follow the photos, you'll see that year after year, there are less and less people in attendance. I'm pretty sure that's all John was getting at. I obviously noticed the same thing, and as a result, I don't even think I did a casino meet last year. People are just busy, that's all. Geez, I have two bands, play poker, go offroading with the club, and this spring I started my own business! If anything, John is probably more upset with me than anyone.

If John is guilty of anything, it's that he expects others to be as passionate about their VXs (and their VX family) as he is. And I'm sure that most of us are, but we don't get out and share it with each other as much as we could.

Sorry John, hope to see you around,
Brian

PS and if there is a paypal or money issue, John will make it right.

k4tmc
12/14/2006, 06:31 PM
One thing I have not seen mentioned (or, I missed it) that may be impacting the numbers showing up at meets, is the cost of gasoline. :( It has more than doubled in the last few years! So, maybe everyone is saving-up for that super-meet in Moab. Another thought is that as your VX is getting older, you may be less inclined to make that extra trip that shortens its life.

Reading some of the comments from past postings about the fuel mileage some of you are getting, means that it costs a lot to drive a distance to a VX gathering. In my other major hobby, ham radio, there are numerous gatherings (hamfests) around the country every year, even dozens right here in the NC/VA/SC area. My attendance at those events has significantly decreased due to the same reasons that others have already mentioned above. However, the real clincher, is when I look in my wallet on Friday evening or Saturday morning and realize what it is going to cost to attend an event for a few hours, I have second thoughts. That has not dampened my enthusiasm for the hobby. I am still active in various other forms - e-mail reflectors, part-time business, on-the-air competitions, etc.

So, instead of attending meets, you may get to see me when I am in your area on a business trip. Such was a recent occasion when I was in Austin, TX, and had dinner with some local VXers. I'll post a note on the board when I am heading out and see if anyone would like to have lunch/dinner and show me their VX. :cool:

rowhard
12/14/2006, 07:43 PM
about 14 hours ago, maybe page one, I was going to comment. Had it typed, then in the end I didn't post it, but what the hell. Being a new VX'er, was keen to meet other VX owners in the Pacific Northwest and suggested a get together back in October. With the exception of Kpaske, no one was interested. Could this be what The Bear was hinting at? :_confused

VX4EJR
12/14/2006, 08:07 PM
I have decided to not pay anymore bills. When they come in the mail, I'm simply not going to pay for them. In fact, I'm just not going to work anymore either. Just don't feel like it. Well, I'm headin over to Chachki's for a coffee. Bye.

CrnCnn
12/14/2006, 08:16 PM
mmm yeeaah

PHO2GR4
12/14/2006, 08:18 PM
about 14 hours ago, maybe page one, I was going to comment. Had it typed, then in the end I didn't post it, but what the hell. Being a new VX'er, was keen to meet other VX owners in the Pacific Northwest and suggested a get together back in October. With the exception of Kpaske, no one was interested. Could this be what The Bear was hinting at? :_confused

Wait! Wait! Don't give up!

I just GOT my VX, and it needs a little work. Once it's running, I'll meet anytime, anywhere.

Honest.

I've already been to one meet! They're fun! Heck, Tone drove all the way from Texas to Seattle for that meet. I think there were more than 11 or 12 of us.

Cooooooooooool.

CrnCnn
12/14/2006, 08:23 PM
bumble bee tuna

nfpgasmask
12/14/2006, 09:36 PM
Yeah, the price of gas is BRUTAL and it DOES make me think twice about going ANYWHERE on the weekend. I was going to go up to Pyramid Lake last Sunday, just to chill out, but I knew it would cost me a 3rd of a tank there and back, so I decided to not...

...but that said, if there were half a dozen other VXers heading out for the same place, I'd be there for sure!

Moab will cost at least $300 in gas there and back for me, and probably more, but I am going to try as hard as I can to make it out.

But yeah, money is an issue for me....and for a lot of us I'm sure.

Bart

WormGod
12/15/2006, 07:49 AM
ATTACK!?

Hmmm, I dunno about that. I see it as good old teasing fun. Picking on the short kid on the basketball team, but still knowing that he is "on your team". You make someone feel like a quitter enough, and they will give in and NOT quit. ;)

AndyC
12/15/2006, 10:14 AM
Unfortunately I've been busy when some of these meets have been happening. But I try to attend them.
For some of us traveling several hours to meet up for a few hours just doesn't work.
I'm a member of a car club too and I just attend certain meets. These are the 2-3 day ones an are a good distance away. I've been to small get togethers and it they are close (few hours) I'm usually game but anything farther it just doesn't work - to much travel time.

Hey Brian it's been a while since the Casino meets :) -- Or I think many I might have missed one? Congrates on the business and maybe I'll see some of you in the near future.

Andy

Ldub
12/15/2006, 12:16 PM
IMO, nobody needs to make any excuses or provide an explanation for not living up to another persons unreasonable expectations...

The only person any of us can change is ourself. :?:

WormGod
12/15/2006, 12:42 PM
The only person any of us can change, is our self. :?:

I dunno about that. Doctors have solutions to change people. They hand out mood/personality pills like TicTacs these days. :p

In all, I have been to maybe 5 meets in the past 5 years. All tiny. The most VX's we ever had was like 6. I think the only person left out of that group now is me and Nav. Speaking of which, I never see ANY VX's anymore around here so there is no sense in moaning about lack of meets. The vehicle itself is enough for me to enjoy. And of course, the forums are just a nice place to BS about issues, news, and to simply shoot the poo about everything and anything with other owners. I have been in many other car clubs with other vehicles and even though they were pretty mainstream popular models with 1 on every block, the VX community is still, by FAR, the most helpful, informative, and supporting group I have been witness to. I am a proud VX owner and very happy to be a part of this tiny cult.... I mean group. ;)

Ldub
12/15/2006, 12:49 PM
I dunno about that. Doctors have solutions to change people. They hand out mood/personality pills like TicTacs these days. :

Good point...know where I can get some tic-tacs ? :p

The reason you don't see any VX's around any more is cause your nasty Alpha VX scared them all off.

colmhd
12/16/2006, 12:05 PM
SOme of us just live in a different country!!

Spike
12/17/2006, 03:36 AM
I can't even say that word!

that (thāt, thət)

word (wurd)

ZEUS
12/17/2006, 11:27 AM
OK... thanks...?

circmand
07/23/2007, 07:22 AM
Probably a bit late in posting here as I just joined again but I decidd to chime in. I belong to another forum for the Jensen Healey. The same feeling was mentioned there. They only imported some 7000+ cars and that was in the 70's. The issue was everyone was so excited and was planning meets. There were times 3 meets were going on in the same area the same weekend or every weekend. Due to limited members the attendance was split and others could not go to every meet. They started setting up a couple of big meets every year based on geogrphical location. All of a sudden there were JH fans coming out of the woodwork. And while gas is expensive it is easier to justify for that one or two trips a year where you will see a bunch of cars and meet their owners. Considering these cars are 30+ years old it kind of disproves the don't want to drive it too much. I actually have more money in it than I paid for my VX new and the car only sold for about $4000 brand new.

climbcovey
03/21/2008, 04:03 PM
Hey all!
Sorry I have been gone so long. Unfortunately Because of the poor design of childrens car seats, I had to part with my VX. My daugter was born on Feb. 1st. I had to purchase a larger vehicle for my primary vehicle. I was made a trade in offer that I couldn't refuse. I ended up with a 2006 Ford F150 super crew 4x4. The deal was so good that my wife let me buy a replacement Toy, While its no VX it is definatley off road ready. I now have a 94 jeep wrangler fully set up for wheelin (air lockers, lift, dana 40, winch etc). So I still will be attending VX off road meets. Maybe down the road I'll get another one. Anyway, I have extra parts laying around the garage such as Manuals, roof mounted bike racks for VX, 18 OEM alloy rims, Roof rack mounting bracket covers, maybe more. let me know if interested, and keep i touch, I am still part of the VX family and always will be! By the way I'll be renewing my membership as soon as I find my credit card. Also, If anyone finds out where my VX ends up let me know, I traded it in in Indianapolis, IN. Also, sorry about highjacking this thread! See ya! Chris

JoFotoz
03/21/2008, 04:27 PM
DIBS on the roof rack mount covers!

I've e-mailed ya!

jo

BigJoe
03/21/2008, 05:35 PM
Sorry to see you go.

Good luck.

Joe

Zorak
03/21/2008, 06:23 PM
Hey all!
If anyone finds out where my VX ends up let me know, I traded it in in Indianapolis, IN. Also, sorry about highjacking this thread! See ya! Chris

somebuddy in Columbus registered here in Feb as "heliguy" owns it now...

Gussie2000
03/21/2008, 10:06 PM
Well,since i've become a VX owner i really,and i mean it, i do really enjoy to be part of this exclusive family.
But since the world is the world it's impossible to please every body,it's sad to know that one of us left because he believes that our home isn't worth to be part of.

I live in NYC & very aware that here's many VXers around,i don't know if a NYC VX meet have being ever done,but i sent PM's to almost all the NY VXers to figured out if that could be possible to have it done & none never respond to me since then.....I give up.

But i never thought isn't worth to be part of the gang :o

Tomorrow is another day....to live for :cool:

snowtrooper1966
03/21/2008, 11:39 PM
Hey all!
Sorry I have been gone so long. Unfortunately Because of the poor design of childrens car seats, I had to part with my VX. My daugter was born on Feb. 1st. I had to purchase a larger vehicle for my primary vehicle. I was made a trade in offer that I couldn't refuse. I ended up with a 2006 Ford F150 super crew 4x4. The deal was so good that my wife let me buy a replacement Toy, While its no VX it is definatley off road ready. I now have a 94 jeep wrangler fully set up for wheelin (air lockers, lift, dana 40, winch etc). So I still will be attending VX off road meets. Maybe down the road I'll get another one. Anyway, I have extra parts laying around the garage such as Manuals, roof mounted bike racks for VX, 18 OEM alloy rims, Roof rack mounting bracket covers, maybe more. let me know if interested, and keep i touch, I am still part of the VX family and always will be! By the way I'll be renewing my membership as soon as I find my credit card. Also, If anyone finds out where my VX ends up let me know, I traded it in in Indianapolis, IN. Also, sorry about highjacking this thread! See ya! Chris

What kind of shape are the rims in? I need some, as a couple of mine are flaking...
James

Chopper
03/22/2008, 05:45 AM
Well,since i've become a VX owner i really,and i mean it, i do really enjoy to be part of this exclusive family.
But since the world is the world it's impossible to please every body,it's sad to know that one of us left because he believes that our home isn't worth to be part of.

I live in NYC & very aware that here's many VXers around,i don't know if a NYC VX meet have being ever done,but i sent PM's to almost all the NY VXers to figured out if that could be possible to have it done & none never respond to me since then.....I give up.

But i never thought isn't worth to be part of the gang :o

Tomorrow is another day....to live for :cool:
I forget to look at the little box, and have had PM's sit unread for days...plus a lot of guys only check in every so often.

Joe Isuzu
03/22/2008, 05:58 AM
Hey Climbcovey, PM sent on roof rack bike carriers. Thanks!

don moore
03/22/2008, 01:27 PM
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:uLFWVskWwprkaM:http://www.guitar.com/uploaded/profile_images/forum_2f455681_two_cents_small.jpg

:smilegray

tom4bren
03/24/2008, 08:19 AM
Bear is entitled to his opinion. I've been a member/owner for almost a year now & haven't been to any meets ... yet.

DC/VA/MD owners - we're getting together near Luray, VA in April. We're getting together again in August near Fredericksburg, VA (Lake Anna).

VA/NC/SC owners - I'll prolly be near Raleigh this summer to visit bro & will be boating at Satterwhite Point. I'll put it on the calendar when I get it planned.

TN/AL/GA owners - I have family down there so if you plan something - chances are good that I'll make it. (Make it at Watauga & I'll be there for sure).

PA/NJ/NY owners - I have family near Philly so plan something near there & chances are good that I'll make it. A meet at Gettysburg would be cool.

Almost forgot - CSTYLES wants to go wheeling on the beach at Assatique too but that'll prolly be next year since he's organizing the Luray trip.

Apathy ... PHHHT. It just takes someone to take the lead. Threats have an effect too - if WormGod doesn't make either Luray or F'burg then I'll start believing Bear:)

WormGod
03/25/2008, 07:20 AM
Apathy ... PHHHT. It just takes someone to take the lead. Threats have an effect too - if WormGod doesn't make either Luray or F'burg then I'll start believing Bear:)

Aw man, I gave up on you all a LONG time ago. So, believe Bear. :p

I am probably out of any lineup this year as it is. Work is in hi-gear so I have little to no time even to get home and wash the boys. My weekends look much like my weekdays.

tom4bren
03/25/2008, 08:10 AM
"I am probably out of any lineup this year as it is. Work is in hi-gear so I have little to no time even to get home and wash the boys. My weekends look much like my weekdays."

Gary,

I can relate. I just wanted to pick on someone & you were just convenient.:)

Tom

nfpgasmask
03/25/2008, 08:23 AM
I have little to no time even to get home and wash the boys.

LOL, I hope you're talking about your VX and WRX! :laughing:

But seriously, I think it just depends on where you are. We Reno VXers have become pretty regular. We hang out as often as we can it seems. Its just too bad some of the other locals here don't join in.

I can't wait for Mammoth Lakes!!!

Bart

tom4bren
03/25/2008, 08:44 AM
Us EastCoasters are trying to catch up with y'all out in the desert. Just give us time.:)

Maybe we'll eventually find the world's biggest mudhole to contend with your slick rock paradise.:)

blacksambo
03/25/2008, 04:01 PM
The VX board is not a club you can join or resign from. It's a brotherhood/sisterhood of individuals with an interest in learning more about their performance utility vehicles, that's all. I think "thebear" (who I met once briefly and was most cordial) was looking to make this VX thing into something more organized or formal like Porsche Club of America or the Cadillac LaSalle Club. These institutions are supported by imposed dues and their respective manufacturers financial contribution, and accordingly they generate more structured actvities. VX Forum does not pretend to offer such a contrived experience. Instead, VX Forum offers true enthusiasm and vehicle knowlege support based on genuine interest, at no imposed cost to its users. It runs purely on love for a historically misunderstood vehicle, and that's its greatest attribute and a strong tribute to those who freely choose to visit the site. For whatever that's worth....

Ldub
03/25/2008, 05:28 PM
The VX board is not a club you can join or resign from. It's a brotherhood/sisterhood of individuals with an interest in learning more about their performance utility vehicles, that's all. I think "thebear" (who I met once briefly and was most cordial) was looking to make this VX thing into something more organized or formal like Porsche Club of America or the Cadillac LaSalle Club. These institutions are supported by imposed dues and their respective manufacturers financial contribution, and accordingly they generate more structured actvities. VX Forum does not pretend to offer such a contrived experience. Instead, VX Forum offers true enthusiasm and vehicle knowlege support based on genuine interest, at no imposed cost to its users. It runs purely on love for a historically misunderstood vehicle, and that's its greatest attribute and a strong tribute to those who freely choose to visit the site. For whatever that's worth....

Well said, and I'll add that, I hope we never become "structured, orgamuhnized OR formal".
I think the last organized club I belonged to was the cub scouts & I found that experience to be too structured. I guess I'm just not the uniform type.:smilewink
And I HATE having to be somewhere at a certain time & place for any reason, except for going to work...or Moab.
So I guess there will be no bowling leagues, softball teams, organized religion, or book of the month clubs in my future...what a relief.:cool:

Chopper
03/25/2008, 05:34 PM
So I guess there will be no bowling leagues, softball teams, organized religion, or book of the month clubs in my future...what a relief.:cool:[/QUOTE]
WHAT!! You quittin' the Red Hat Ladies?:eek::bgwb:

Ldub
03/25/2008, 05:42 PM
So I guess there will be no bowling leagues, softball teams, organized religion, or book of the month clubs in my future...what a relief.:cool:
WHAT!! You quittin' the Red Hat Ladies?:eek::bgwb:[/QUOTE]

Yep...three months ago. :dance:

And no more line dancing neither.:razzgray:

VXGirlie01
10/23/2008, 06:40 PM
one member leaving will always be replaced by a new member joining. i'm very social and a huge car enthusiast! i've been very pleased with the forum so far!

sorry that his stay here wasn't what he hoped it would be. all i can say is "thank you" for being such a great group of enthusiasts! i hope to be here a long time! :)