PDA

View Full Version : Stop Crushing Vx's!!!

biju
12/09/2006, 04:45 PM
Does anybody have an idea how long a salvage yard will keep a VX (or any vehicle) before they send it off to the crusher? Is there some sort of industry 'standard' or is it at the yards whim?

I've had my finger on the pulse of a VX in a yard locally for a while now - and was hoping to pick it up for parts. Called today to move on it. To my HORROR this nearly in tact VX (only rolled) was sent to the crusher. The only thing they took out was the engine/tranny. They crushed everything else. EVERYTHING.

I'm kind of in shock.

-biju.

CrnCnn
12/09/2006, 05:12 PM
The Truck salvage yard I used to work for in AZ would basically pick the truck clean then if there were salvageable body panels, they would be cut off with a sawzall and the rest was history. They also had some trucks that they had since they first opened, and they were open for 30 years so no there was no set time.

Ruflyf
12/09/2006, 05:29 PM
The problem is its just money to them, if the parts are hard to unload (which vx parts to a run of the mill yard would be) then that "spot" would be better suited for a honda civic :(

nfpgasmask
12/09/2006, 06:25 PM
Ohhhh, all that poor cladding! What a waste.

Bart

VCAMILO
12/09/2006, 09:14 PM
Ohhhh, all that poor cladding! What a waste.

TRUE TRUE! :mad:

kpaske
12/10/2006, 07:29 AM
To my HORROR this nearly in tact VX (only rolled) was sent to the crusher. The only thing they took out was the engine/tranny. They crushed everything else. EVERYTHING.You'd think with a rare vehicle they would realize that the parts are valuable. The problem with the VX is that it was rare and had poor sales, so most people probably don't know we exist.

That really sucks - I bet much of the interior was still in great shape.

biju
12/10/2006, 08:19 AM
yeah, this thing had an in tact interior - seats, panels, etc., etc... Had most of all the cladding sans the passenger front fender (rolled on that side). Missing only two windows, etc. I was stoked to buy her for parts for myself and the community - but alas - she's gone.

I guess you're right... they had a civic or another ricer to put in her place.

I should have known, and moved on her sooner. I just always thought she'd be there for whenever I was ready...

Anybody eyeing a salvage VX get MOVIN'!!

-biju.

PHO2GR4
12/10/2006, 12:33 PM
I love the title of this thread: STOP CRUSHING VXs!

I think that's something we can all get behind.

thedutchguy
12/11/2006, 07:23 AM
OOOOOPS SORRY, just crushed one!

Chopper
12/11/2006, 03:07 PM
Looks like ol' 0177 just increased another .03% :cool: Seriously, I've been considering grabbing one or two to park behind the shop. I want one to butcher anyway.... get rid of the suspension and drive line, transplant a nice VQ and Nissan 6 speed (got a nice, wrecked G35) , graft in some kind of suspenders, X brace the frame, and create a reardrive, fun to drive on asphalt,machine. Yeah, it would be easier to just buy another car, but, I love the way it looks... it could just drive alot better I think.

cyronman
12/11/2006, 05:25 PM
maybe we can all chip in on one that's on death row, then we can all have dibs on the skeleton.

Jim Hanzak
12/11/2006, 05:54 PM
maybe we can all chip in on one that's on death row, then we can all have dibs on the skeleton.
Theres nothing wrong with being a cannibal!!!

Ldub
12/11/2006, 05:59 PM
You ever tried organizing a bunch of hungry cannibals ?...

I get the interior...

No, I get the interior...

I want the headlights...

NO, I want the headlights...

& so on...could get VERY ugly.

ZEUS
12/11/2006, 06:12 PM
Now I feel like Homer... "Mmm, VX headlights... gggaarrhhh, slurp."

I just got really hungry after reading that... but for food.

biju
12/11/2006, 06:44 PM

I get the interior...

I want the headlights...

Agreed. We *ARE* a bunch of hungry hungry homers. So many needs... So few gimpy VX's to salvage from...

-biju.

biju
04/27/2007, 08:21 AM
three more salvage yards called this a.m.

three more confirmed crushed VX's.

-biju.

WormGod
04/27/2007, 08:58 AM
There is no God.... :(

JHarris1385
04/27/2007, 09:22 AM
What search engine tool do you use to find if a VX is in the inventory of a junk yard?

I can barely find a Trooper around here.

biju
04/27/2007, 09:27 AM
www.car-parts.com

VX4EJR
04/27/2007, 10:17 AM
Can't we tap into the locator beacon in all VX's that was implanted by the aliens when they delivered them to us? I heard they are indestructible. :confused:

VehiX
04/27/2007, 12:48 PM
:homer:
:_drool:

SilverBullet75
04/27/2007, 01:46 PM

I get the interior...

I want the headlights...

I just thought it was funny that the guy from Fargo, ND was citing potential problems with organizing cannibals... LOL

Just playing LDub! :)

Ldub
04/27/2007, 01:54 PM
So what are you saying ?...ya don't think we have a cannibal problem here in Fargo ? :rolleyes:

The cannibal problem around here is second only to the zombie problem...I see TONS of zombies every time I set foot in a Wal-Mart...their lifeless eyes staring wistfully at undergarments they'll NEVER be able to afford...

I tell ya, ya just ain't lived until you've done a bunch of time in good ol' Fargo. ;) :p

jims585
04/27/2007, 02:10 PM
Have a wrecked 99 that i'm thinking of parting out. It has 96k miles and was in perfect running condition prior to being in accident. I was trying to have repaired but every day the body shop calls saying that they needed this or that. [insurance declared it a total loss and I retained salvage] VX is damaged on the rt side, frt hood, grille and bumper assy. All running gear is good, frame is straight, interior is complete less rt door trim panel [dr seat has wear marks] interior is red/black. lt side is good. all glass is good. have lkg door and cladding for rt side. Shop says needs A-pillar. rt inner rocker panel, as well as rt fender and cladding, hood, grille, and frt bumper mnt brkts. I have new frt bumper cover. The rr bumper cover is damaged but was told that it can be repaired. Body shop was going to have fixed in 2 months including time to locate parts. Well we are on 4 months and vx is sitting in shop covered with dust and what ever and shop isn't doing any thing to repair, as they keep insisting that they can't repair til they get A-pillar and inner panels. I asked why they weren't noticed and I informed of the need for these parts when I left car at shop, they said something about hidden damage and walked away.

MSHardeman
04/27/2007, 03:07 PM
Jim,

I hate to be a vulture, but if you're going to part your VX out I have a few things that I would like to get. Let me/ us know when you decide and I'm sure that it'll be picked clean in no time.

Mark

newthings
04/27/2007, 03:21 PM
Gee, you are just down the coast.
How much for the front bumper cover and other new cladding parts?
I have been looking for a whole rear door to do a full sized spare inset. Keep me in mind for the rear door.
If I only had room to store the vehicle.
Roy

biju
04/27/2007, 03:55 PM
Jim,

Vulture here. Just sent you a PM in case you decide to make your VX an organ donor.

thanks!

-biju.

Ldub
04/27/2007, 04:12 PM
Dibs on the right side tail light if available...let me know what you need for it & we can proceed from there.

Thanks, L W

kpaske
04/29/2007, 08:00 AM
Ca-kaw! The vultures are circling...

Dibs on the complete interior color package if they are black and grey (front and rear seats, steering wheel, interior door panels & knobs from the spare tire cover).

Please PM or E-Mail me if you decide to part out. ;Db;

Ldub
04/29/2007, 08:10 AM
interior is complete less rt door trim panel [dr seat has wear marks] interior is red/black. ;)

Zorak
04/29/2007, 03:56 PM
Dibs on the right side tail light if available...let me know what you need for it & we can proceed from there.

Thanks, L W

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Isuzu-Vehicross-Passenger-Tail-Light_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33716QQihZ015QQit emZ250109145295QQrdZ1

CoastieCosta567
04/29/2007, 05:24 PM
dibs on the axels guts unles Bimati grabs them, cuz he needs them more then anybody here and if not i'll take them for spares. Now I know why the VX was made with those 2 fangs in the front grill, man our VX's are Bad really really bad, those dang cannibals. ;) I wont be serprise if our VX will 1 day eat us 2.

Oh and Dibs on the egr valve , front and rear speed sensors and hood if its alive still.