PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for DVD codec or player

Ruflyf
12/07/2006, 07:52 AM
Well I got my new laptop of course it doesnt have the WMP DVD player codec installed. Of course this lil codec costs money and a zillion people probably pay it, however I know there are lots of free codecs and players out there and would like to get some opinions before I just go sampling DVD players.

First off, can you get a DVD player codec for free for WMP? (I know there are alot of anti WMP peeps put there, but I think it might be the best option since WMP is already installed anyway).

Second, Does anyone have any ideas for a good free DVD/video player? I dont want any that are free for 15-30 days etc.

For example, (Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/)) cant be touched for audio as far as the free market goes, IMO.

nfpgasmask
12/07/2006, 08:05 AM
Well, there is the ever popular WinDVD. This software usually comes with Dell laptops as part of the bundled software package.

I use a program called Sonic Cineplayer. It works really nice.

However, I don't think either of these programs are free. What type of laptop do you have?

Bart

Well I got my new laptop of course it doesnt have the WMP DVD player codec installed. Of course this lil codec costs money and a zillion people probably pay it, however I know there are lots of free codecs and players out there and would like to get some opinions before I just go sampling DVD players.

First off, can you get a DVD player codec for free for WMP? (I know there are alot of anti WMP peeps put there, but I think it might be the best option since WMP is already installed anyway).

Second, Does anyone have any ideas for a good free DVD/video player? I dont want any that are free for 15-30 days etc.

For example, (Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/)) cant be touched for audio as far as the free market goes, IMO.

Ruflyf
12/07/2006, 11:50 AM
its a toshiba satellite pro with xp pro on it. Its got nvidia graphics and I noticed nvidia makes a codec for WMP, but again I hate paying for that stupid crap lol

nfpgasmask
12/07/2006, 11:59 AM
Let me check and see what I have at home. I might have some thing I can send you...

Bart

its a toshiba satellite pro with xp pro on it. Its got nvidia graphics and I noticed nvidia makes a codec for WMP, but again I hate paying for that stupid crap lol

MZ-N10
12/07/2006, 12:19 PM
gspot and vlc....all u need and if u dont like media player u could use classic media.

nfpgasmask
12/07/2006, 01:04 PM
Hmmm, gspot and vlc...never heard of them. Links?

Bart

gspot and vlc....all u need and if u dont like media player u could use classic media.

kpaske
12/07/2006, 01:49 PM
I may have a solution for you: The K-Lite Codec Pack

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Codec_Pack.htm

It's free - just download and install. Every so often you can download the latest one and it will update ALL of your codecs! I have it installed on any machine that I want to watch any videos on and it plays just about anything. It even includes Windows Media Player Classic (which can be run along side WMP, and has a few features that the newer versions don't).

I think GSpot is just a tool used to identify what codecs were used to encode the audio and video streams.

VLC is a free, portable media player, but it doesn't have many features. It's good if you just need a quick and dirty player for something but I don't know if I'd recommend it as a primary player. YMMV.

colmhd
12/20/2006, 03:20 PM
You could try downloading VLC player.
Works on Mac and Win machines and plays a variety of formats.
Try download .com for freeware players or CNN.com
OR do a google search for DVD format players.
But VLC works fine for me and I work with both WIN and Mac.
Cheers