PDA

View Full Version : Tuning the computer

Solitude
12/04/2006, 10:37 PM
Hello everyone

When I first bought my VX I had heard rumors that you could uprate the horsepower by tuning the computer. Is this a possibility and would a Trooper computer be a good chassis to install the upgrade into so you could swap back and forth for emission passing purposes and warranty issues. (takes along time to reach 10 years or 120,ooo miles)

have done some searches here to know avail.. and really can't afford a S/C unless its that blowdryer thingy on ebay :disturbed

thanks
Jeff

thedutchguy
12/05/2006, 12:18 AM
you will need a real expert to alter the mapping in your ecu. and with atmospheric aspirated engines the power increase will only be a couple of % without getting trouble in some areas such as idling.
sc or turbocharching is the only realtively simple way otherwise flowing, camshafts and valves are the only way to increase power.
It's illegal in the Netherlands, bu how about popping in alarger engine if you're that desparate?
I never have the impression being short of power with my VX.
And be carefull cause youre tranny will blow if you overdo it.

Solitude
12/05/2006, 12:49 AM
Thank you.. I was kinda fishing.. appreciate the straight response... I had heard
a number like 300 HP with headers.. cat back and cold air intake..

Had always wondered what it would be like to chirp the tires.. holding the steering wheel straight..

maybe I get a manual tranny instead..laffs..can always get a wheel chirp from a clutch pedal side step.. (JK)

jeff

Ldub
12/05/2006, 06:42 AM
Thank you.. I was kinda fishing.. appreciate the straight response... I had heard
a number like 300 HP with headers.. cat back and cold air intake..

Had always wondered what it would be like to chirp the tires.. holding the steering wheel straight..

maybe I get a manual tranny instead..laffs..can always get a wheel chirp from a clutch pedal side step.. (JK)

jeff

I don't know where you're getting your info...300 HP (an 85 hp increase from stock) from headers, cat-back & a cold air intake ???....right. :rolleyes:

I'm doubtful that even those that are s/c'd are putting out much more than 270...maybe.

Like thedutchguy sez...you get much more than 280ish & it's tranny time. :(

Just my two...

Bulldoggie
12/05/2006, 12:47 PM
A stock small block V8 is only rated @ 200 H.P. = <16 mpg

Our V6, puts out 215 H.P. avg. 16 mpg

More H.P. = more Fuel usage.

A 500 H.P. crate engine will cost about 6-10,000 dollar$$$$$

A diesel might give you more torque for less fuel but conversion cost$$$$$

I personally, like the automatic trans. IE.. stop and go traffic, steep hills, being able to hold a cup of joe while you drive, traction like an Audi Quadtro!

The photo's in the Action gallery, look very impressive.

A lift kit may give you extra ground clearance, at the cost of less highway speed and handling.

WormGod
12/06/2006, 08:04 AM
For now, it looks like the S/C is about the most gain we will get for engine boost. Couple that with some headers and an exhaust for a little more. Other than that, it's uncharted territory. I never got any boost from a CAI. Actually took it out because my mileage got worse with it. *shrug*