PDA

View Full Version : Let's REVISIT car stereo options!

PHO2GR4
12/04/2006, 07:15 PM
Hi Gang,

I'm pretty excited about taking delivery of my NEW (well, 1999, but new to me) VX next week. I haven't owned a VX in three years, so it's going to take me awhile to get back up to speed.

I wasn't really too happy with the stock sound system of my old '99 Ironman VX. The only change I made was adding an amp and a subwoofer, which dramatically improved things.

Still, I'd like to do better this time. I've got the spare change to do it right. Here's what I'd like to do...and I'm hoping some of YOU can chime in with suggestions and ideas.

WANT LIST:

A clean-looking system which includes
GPS
Sirius or XM compatibility
New speakers all around
Some medium-power amps
one good sub...maybe in the spare-tire area.

Bonus: rear-camera integration into an LCD screen.

I'd like to keep my rear storage area clear, even though I know it's a good place for amps and subwoofer enclosures. I remember that Tone had a slick subwoofer enclosure for the spare tire area in the rear hatch.

Are there any super-cool new headunits out there with the LCD GPS DVD XM capabilities? Which fit into the VX dash without too much commotion?

Damn...this'll get spendy. And I know I'll have to address the sound deadening Dynamat stuff too...

psychos2
12/04/2006, 07:52 PM
Here is a link that may help you with a rear door sub box.http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=8188&highlight=jl+audio
I have also built a fiberglass box that fits in the spare tire for an 8" sub. JL Audio subs are some of the best you can buy. As for the rest of the speakers Mb Quart's are the best (IMHO). shawn

PHO2GR4
12/05/2006, 10:49 AM
Well, I cannot sacrifice the small amount of storage space behind the rear seats, so I'll HAVE to do something with the spare tire area. How expensive would it be to have a custom fiberglas enclosure made to fit behind the stock plastic spare tire cover, and then cut a hole for the sub in the existing cover?

I haven't even STARTED looking for a good head unit/GPS system/LCD combo. And I'd definitely like a way to get the rear-camera system integrated into an LCD screen.

etlsport
12/05/2006, 11:02 AM
did you follow that link? psychos2 builds boxes to fit in the spare tire area, read that thread, there is pricing and ordering info

as for video/headunits search for the pioneer AVIC-N2, someone here did a very nice install with that unit

i like the setup i have for video, i have my dvdplayer/source unit in the lower din slot and a standalone flip out monitor in the upper din slot, my source unit plays DVDs plus has an extra video input for video games/computer (or gps in your case) and my monitor has two inputs as well, one from the source unit and one from a rear view camera, just make sure the monitor you select has the capability to reverse an image in case the camera you get doesnt do it automatically

kpaske
12/05/2006, 11:06 AM
Well, I cannot sacrifice the small amount of storage space behind the rear seats, so I'll HAVE to do something with the spare tire area. How expensive would it be to have a custom fiberglas enclosure made to fit behind the stock plastic spare tire cover, and then cut a hole for the sub in the existing cover?Did you check out Shawn's thread about his custom box? If you want a sealed box, that's about as good as it gets in the rear door, unless you want to try to do something like what I did (two 12" subs, sealed fiberglass/MDF with amp mounted on top). The box I built wasn't super expensive, just labor intensive. Therefore, if you can do the work yourself, it's cheap. If you have to pay someone, it's gonna cost you. Shawn is offering a semi-custom solution for a fair price. I believe Tone also still sells his free-air kit which will let you mount one 10" sub without losing your spare.

biju
12/05/2006, 11:06 AM
I'd check out the AVN7000 by eclipse...

very nice equip.

-biju.

pbkid
12/05/2006, 11:14 AM
another option for you for the head unit would be an upper end eclipse deck...they are great sounding decks, and they have GPS built in without having to have a screen, oh yea they are sirius compatible...the cd 4000 and above have the GPS (area shot) feature available...look at their website (www.eclipse-web.com)...and audiovox makes a very nice rear view mirror replacement that has a screen built in that comes with the rear view camera for $399 at circuit city...(sorry i work there so i know all the prices way too well) this would solve all your problems minus the sub and amp...
oh and IMHO i love MBQuart and Polk Audio speakers...i think they are both great sounding speakers....the polks are a little "warmer" sounding but the MBquarts are a little clearer...
pbkid

PHO2GR4
12/05/2006, 01:50 PM
Biju and pbkid...

I just looked at the Eclipse site, and WOW those are cool. I've heard of that brand, but I've never owned one. maybe now's the time to make the leap!

There isn't a clean way to install the double-DIN version in the VX dash, is there? I guess having a motorized screen wouldn't be bad, but I love the built-in look of the 7" screen in my 350Z.

pbkid, the rearview camera idea from Circuit City is also a good find. There MIGHT be a way to runthe camera input into the Eclipse deck's screen. too, but I haven't memorized all of the specs yet. Plus, Tone might still have a few of his rear camera rigs left. I haven't contacted him yet because I won't even HAVE the VX until next Sunday, 12/10.

PHO2GR4
12/05/2006, 01:59 PM
AND!

it DOES have the rear-camera monitor option. It also has 50W x 4 channels of power, so I'd only have to get a small separate amp under the driver's seat to power a small subwoofer.

AND it is iPod- and Sirius- ready.

If I can find a small inflatable mattress, I could then live in the VX.

psychos2
12/05/2006, 02:31 PM
Here is a link to the 8" sub enclosure thread. JL Audio 8" sub enclosure (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=5782&highlight=jl+audio)
shawn

PHO2GR4
12/05/2006, 03:03 PM
Wow, the 8" enclosure idea looks slick. I thought I'd have to lose the spare tire in order to install a subwoofer back there!

I wish I could squeeze an 10" sub back there. I already have a CL Audio sub collecting dust in my basement...still in the box, never used!

pbkid
12/05/2006, 04:50 PM
yea we also sell just the camera without the mirror part that would plug right into the eclipse deck for 179....also eclipse sells a rear view camera designed for their decks...

kobie
12/05/2006, 07:41 PM
I have read somewhere in the forum that the eclipse brand is compatible with the stock in dash changer. Can anyone confirm this?

pbkid
12/05/2006, 08:40 PM
no its not, eclipse does not have a "din" plug in the back that the changer would plug into...unless the changer has something other than a din plug...i dont know my VX didnt have one in it when i bought it...

psychos2
12/05/2006, 08:59 PM
Wow, the 8" enclosure idea looks slick. I thought I'd have to lose the spare tire in order to install a subwoofer back there!

I wish I could squeeze an 10" sub back there. I already have a CL Audio sub collecting dust in my basement...still in the box, never used!

Did you mean jl audio? It may be possible depending on the model. There are ways to make the speaker think it is in a bigger box. If you add the right amount of fiberfill. Let me know the model and brand, and I will let you know if it is possible. shawn

PHO2GR4
12/05/2006, 09:52 PM
CL Audio...snort.

I meant CDT Audio.

I don't have the measurements handy...hold on...look here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CDT-Audio-EF-series-EF-100-10-250w-RMS-Subwoofer_W0QQitemZ150061276514QQihZ005QQcategoryZ 3291QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

It can't be too different from the JL Audio line, as far as space and installation requirements. I bought it as part of a complete system to be installed into my 350Z, and then found a custom box for the Z which already had a JL Audio 10" sub in it!

psychos2
12/05/2006, 10:09 PM
CL Audio...snort.

I meant CDT Audio.

I don't have the measurements handy...hold on...look here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CDT-Audio-EF-series-EF-100-10-250w-RMS-Subwoofer_W0QQitemZ150061276514QQihZ005QQcategoryZ 3291QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

It can't be too different from the JL Audio line, as far as space and installation requirements. I bought it as part of a complete system to be installed into my 350Z, and then found a custom box for the Z which already had a JL Audio 10" sub in it!

It may be possible.I will do some measuring and get back to you. shawn

kpaske
12/06/2006, 08:44 AM
It may be possible depending on the model. There are ways to make the speaker think it is in a bigger box. If you add the right amount of fiberfill.Not sure how much volume you can squeeze out with the spare IN, but if you take the spare OUT and build the back out of fiberglass you can get over 3 cubic feet (while still being able to pull the box out - if you didn't care about that you could probably get over 5 cubic feet!). A little bit of fiberfill helped my 12's (1.5 cubic feet was the minimum volume required for each sub) but I still wouldn't go below the minimum recommended volume spec of the sub.

Rednex
12/06/2006, 11:33 AM
Just got my VX - cleared papers y-day, & here comes the 1st disappointment: standard Isuzu head unit is all-around US kid - no 'even fraction' frequency jumps! :confused: But my favorite station is 105.2 here in Riga, Latvia! :(

So - it's time for that box to go, and replacement needs to be:

- GPS with maps available for Europe
- CD-changer capable :OR: capable to play mp3s from DVD :OR: (preferrably) capable to play mp3s from internal HD
- with video & headphones output for addtnl screen(s) (kids in rear seats...)
- able to play audio in front and video in the rear simultaneously
- rear-view camera ready w option to automatically pop on rear-view picture on front screen when reverse gets engaged
- satellite radio and iPod readiness are optional... ;)

Recommended here Eclipse stuff looks very close, yet - I can not figure out what nav SW it uses, how to feed custom maps in there?
Will it allow me listen to my radio 105.2 or mp3s, while kids are watching their disney's stuff in the back?

So: am I dreaming no-sci fiction, or is there something like this available around, like mentioned AVN6600 w some (what?) options?
Or should I start thinking of building custom multi-media in-dash PC?
Or - perhaps just get two of them - one for front seats, & other for kids back there for peace of mind?

Thanx in advance, mates! :)

PHO2GR4
12/06/2006, 12:22 PM
How do you have time for VX stuff with all of those beautiful Latvian women running around?!? Aren't you surrouned by supermodels?

Oh, and it looks like the DVD software updates for the Eclipse system are marketed by Fujitsu-Ten but created by:

2006 - Denso Corporation
2006 - Geographic Data Technology, Inc.
2004 - NAVTEQ
2004 - InfoUSA
2005 - VISA Corporation

That's off of an update DVD I saw on eBay...just for a North America disk.

Rednex
12/07/2006, 10:42 AM
How do you have time for VX stuff with all of those beautiful Latvian women running around?!? Aren't you surrouned by supermodels?

Well - we're born in those har surroundings, so we somehow get used to that. ;)

Of course - it's fun seeing some Frenchman or Italian guy hitting lamp pole, while staring around at our chix walking in minis around downtown Riga, yet - u somehow get used to that. It helps to realize that exterior does not grant u a happy marriage... ;)

Thanx on input on maps. Will keep on searching.
In our part of the world Ozi Explorer on a rugged laptop is very popular nav solution - it can be fed w almost any kind of map.

Rednex
12/07/2006, 10:43 AM

Well - we're born in those harsh surroundings, so we are to live w that. ;)

Of course - it's fun seeing some Frenchman or Italian guy hitting lamp pole, while staring around at our chix walking in minis around downtown Riga, yet - u somehow get used to that. It helps to realize that exterior does not grant u a happy marriage... ;)

Thanx on input on maps. Will keep on searching.
In our part of the world Ozi Explorer on a rugged laptop is very popular nav solution - it can be fed w almost any kind of map.

PHO2GR4
12/08/2006, 12:50 PM
Hi Shawn,

After researching different options, I've concluded that your spare-tire custom sub enclosure is probably the best way for me to proceed. I'll try to find the specific dimensions of that CDT Audio sub, if you need them. The specs are probably the same as for the JL Audio subs, and if not...screw it. I'll run out and buy another JL Audio sub and put the CDT one on eBay.

Is this a job you'd be willing to take on for some spare PayPal cash? Can you ship a finished one to Seattle any time soon?
:)

psychos2
12/08/2006, 02:33 PM
Hi Shawn,

After researching different options, I've concluded that your spare-tire custom sub enclosure is probably the best way for me to proceed. I'll try to find the specific dimensions of that CDT Audio sub, if you need them. The specs are probably the same as for the JL Audio subs, and if not...screw it. I'll run out and buy another JL Audio sub and put the CDT one on eBay.

Is this a job you'd be willing to take on for some spare PayPal cash? Can you ship a finished one to Seattle any time soon?
:)

I do not have any made up. I cannot afford to have them sitting around. I can make you one and have it ready by the 1st of the year.I am off the week of x-mas and will have time to build it then. I can take paypal on my brothers account as I do not have one.I will do some measuring and let you know if that sub will work. shawn

PHO2GR4
12/08/2006, 02:48 PM
2007 ?!?

I want this YESTERDAY!

Just kidding. I'm glad that you'll take on this project. If I tried to do it myself, I'd end up with fiberglas all in my hair and my teeth and whatnot.

The diameter of this 10" sub is really 10.5", with the mounting ring. The depth is just about 5.75 inches. It weighs a ton. Remind me not to set it down on my computer case to measure it...that's a powerful magnet.

PM me with the PayPal info. If you'd like, I can send one payment now, for the enclosure, and then you can give me the shipping cost later, when you know how much it'll be.

THANKS MAN!!!!

psychos2
12/08/2006, 11:06 PM
2007 ?!?

I want this YESTERDAY!

Just kidding. I'm glad that you'll take on this project. If I tried to do it myself, I'd end up with fiberglas all in my hair and my teeth and whatnot.

The diameter of this 10" sub is really 10.5", with the mounting ring. The depth is just about 5.75 inches. It weighs a ton. Remind me not to set it down on my computer case to measure it...that's a powerful magnet.

PM me with the PayPal info. If you'd like, I can send one payment now, for the enclosure, and then you can give me the shipping cost later, when you know how much it'll be.

THANKS MAN!!!!

Looks like the mounting depth is 4.75 inches. That is what it says on the ebay auction link you posted. (And the depth of the box is about 5 inches.)So it will fit.(The mounting depth would be from the back of were the screw holes are to the back of the magnet.) If you want to use paypal send me a PM with your id and I will have my brother send you an invoice and you can just pay from the invoice. Thanks , shawn

psychos2
12/09/2006, 09:32 PM
PHO2GR4 , i sent you a PM . shawn

PHO2GR4
12/09/2006, 11:56 PM
Hi Shawn!

I PM'd you back. I'm hoping you can fab something up for a sub with a 5 5/8" mounting depth. If not, it's back to the sub shop for me! And I don't mean sandwiches..

kpaske
12/10/2006, 07:20 AM
If not, it's back to the sub shop for me! And I don't mean sandwiches..If Shawn's box isn't quite deep enough, you could construct a ring out of MDF which would raise the mounting depth (3/4" or 1" depending on how thick the MDF is). Your sub would then stick out that much further from the box though, and the hole you cut out of your plastic tail gate cover would go around the MDF ring, not the speaker. Done neatly it would still look good, i think. You could even do the "ring" in a custom shape if you really wanted to be slick - I thought about doing one in the shape of the Isuzu logo, but then I decided to go with two subs.

PHO2GR4
12/10/2006, 12:08 PM
I'd like to get together and check out your VX some time. I live up on Queen Anne hill, and my office is down by Safeco Field and Qwest Stadium.

I was hoping my VX would be delivered today, but since it is 12:00 noon and I haven't gotten a phone call from the auto transport company, it doesn't look good. :(

PHO2GR4
12/10/2006, 12:15 PM
Oh, and the spacer ring is a great idea. I'd like to rig it up so that I can also install a speaker grill, so I don't puncture the sub during one of my Costco runs...I mean, during one of my Moab runs. :p

psychos2
12/10/2006, 01:01 PM
PHO2GR4 ,with the 10" sub you are using you could fit 2 in the rear door without the spare tire. It would be a little more work. Add $50 to the price i gave you. shawn

psychos2
12/10/2006, 04:55 PM
PHO2GR4, I recieved the money from paypal. I will get started on it. thanks shawn

PHO2GR4
12/10/2006, 06:21 PM
Cool!

Now all I need is a VX to put it into. Not only was my Ebony NOT delivered today, as the transport company had indicated...but they didn't even CALL yet. They said to expect a call 24 hours before delivery, so I could be here to accept it. Their office is closed on weekends, too. Bummer.

I'll call their 800-number tomorrow to see if they can give me a better ETA.

kpaske
12/10/2006, 09:00 PM
I'd like to get together and check out your VX some time. I live up on Queen Anne hill, and my office is down by Safeco Field and Qwest Stadium.I'm actually down by Fort Lewis, but I work in Seattle on weekends. Don't get the VX up that way very often because I drive my more fuel efficient VW, but we could work something out. There are enough active PNW VXers that we could probably have a small meet some time here in the near future.

Gussie2000
02/05/2008, 07:44 PM
Well i just bought a full kenwood sys (cassette deck with remote ,CD changer,capacitor,digital spectrum analyzer,two subs,two 500 watts amps & four 6'5 speakers,hopefully I know how to install the system.

The missing piece of the puzzle is the encloure,the two subs are 12'' & the speakers are 3 way;I'm thinking about customized box,but i'll never give up on the spare tire whatsoever.

psychos2
02/06/2008, 02:45 PM
Well i just bought a full kenwood sys (cassette deck with remote ,CD changer,capacitor,digital spectrum analyzer,two subs,two 500 watts amps & four 6'5 speakers,hopefully I know how to install the system.

The missing piece of the puzzle is the encloure,the two subs are 12'' & the speakers are 3 way;I'm thinking about customized box,but i'll never give up on the spare tire whatsoever.

you have 2 choices. 1 is to lose the spare and install one in the rear door . Option 2 is to get a custom box built for behind the rear seat. I can build you one If you are interested. shawn

JHarris1385
02/06/2008, 03:39 PM
What do you charge for the in spare space box?

psychos2
02/06/2008, 05:09 PM
What do you charge for the in spare space box?

If you are talking about the one that replaces the spare, $200 carpeted or $150 not carpeted. plus shipping. shawn

Gussie2000
02/19/2008, 07:18 PM
I finally found sub box for 40 bucks.
However thanks for the ofer ;)

Solitude
02/20/2008, 04:49 AM
Think about this.. The devotion you have to your spare tire is devotion that includes.. if you blow a rear tire.. you are dedicated enough to the spare that you will jack up the front.. remove one of those tires.. put the spare on there.. then jack up the flat rear tire.. remove it and put the front tire you just took off .. there.. that is the only way to run around on a spare tire that you store in that place in the back...

A good plan if you are stranded in the middle of nowhere.. but if you are near a tire store.. there are alternatives

Gussie2000
02/25/2008, 04:35 PM
Hi guys how all you doing ?

I got a question.....

Anyone knows pretty well which is the rear spearks diameter size ?:confused:

I'm about to replace all the audio sys in my toy,but i haven't purchase other pair of speakers because i'm not sure which is the size of those ones.

My new audio gear is all kenwood brand,except the two amps,those are sony xplode models.
I'll appretiate your guys help figuring out this one :o

etlsport
02/25/2008, 05:51 PM
the rears are 4"

Gussie2000
02/26/2008, 09:08 PM
Thanks for you input ! ;)