PDA

View Full Version : Resetting the Computer

ravinwolf
12/03/2006, 11:55 PM
Hello everyone, the question I have is do I or should I reset my ECM after having a new exhaust system installed. I put on a vortex muffler and had it duelled out the back. I went from 20mpg to 13mpg. The engine still seems to run strong and still pulls hard.

johnnyapollo
12/04/2006, 05:56 AM
Had you changed out the intake prior to changing the exhaust? I saw a drastic reduction in mileage when they were both changed out - you're basically increasing both inflow and outflow, like going to a larger diameter water pipe. By increasing the airflow, the engine can burn fuel more efficiently - meaning more gas consumption. Since your computer is still thinking it's balancing the old equation, things should be out of wack until it "learns" the new setup. Resetting the should help, but you may never get back to the original fuel efficiency - it's the price you pay.

-- John

WormGod
12/04/2006, 07:10 AM
I had the same problem back when I added the HotShot intake to the PV exhaust. This works in most cases and is harmless....

Unhook the battery and sit on the break to let any and all charge go away. Hook battery back up and give it a try. This worked for me, although not 100%. The mileage went back up close to its original area. It at least reset the ECM since my Check Engine light had come on after the intake install.

Like I said, it's free, harmless, and worth a try.

ravinwolf
12/04/2006, 08:46 AM
I will give it a try. I went with the vortex exhaust because I had some installed on my corvette and I went from 24mpg to 27mpg on the hwy. I noticed a bit more power from the vette as well.

ravinwolf
12/04/2006, 10:02 AM
I am wondering if the temp here is affecting the mpg. Its about 8 degrees here. I have been traveling from Pocatello Idaho to the Salt Lake City Utah Va center about twice a week for injuries I recieved in Iraq.

etlsport
12/04/2006, 10:24 AM
could your mileage also be affected by driving a little harder to hear your new exhaust in all its glory? i know my vx mileage can change 5-6 mpg depending on my driving

Tone
12/04/2006, 10:38 AM
In winter, all vehicles get less MPG but only a bit.

ravinwolf
12/04/2006, 10:51 AM
I keep the cruise on about 78 mph at approx 3100 to 3200 rpms. I try keep it at that speed because of the many trips I take to the VA. My civilan job layed me off due to my injuries and then they denied my short term disability because they do not support war or acts of war. So I have not had any money coming in since Sept. I am losing about 5000.00 a month. The VA only gives me 30.08 to drive a 260 round trip.