PDA

View Full Version : Final advice needed

JHarris1385
12/03/2006, 04:00 PM
I think im done looking for a wheel. Decided to go with some pro-comps.
16x8 6-5.5
and they come either hub centric or not. Which is right for the VX?????

http://4wheelparts.com/4wp/products/productLine.asp?cat=WHE&prodline=4119&catName=&man=PXA&parentProdline=WHE8089PXA&expand=sub19#

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/PXA_8089x_c.jpg

Thanks

uncle_asa
12/03/2006, 10:02 PM
The offset would be 0 vs stock 38, i.e. your wheels will be out 1.5". I'd don't go with it. I'd look for the same wheels with back spacing no less than 5.5 (http://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html).
If I correctly understand the term, the front wheels are hub centric, the hub diameter is 100 mm (it is possible to install wheels designed for bigger diameter, but not smaller). And there's nothing wrong to install hub centric wheels on the rear (I believe they should be different by the hub cup size, but check if the hub cups are supplied at all).

WormGod
12/04/2006, 07:32 AM
I have had my wheels on for over 5 years now and they have a "0" offset, and there are a few things to keep in mind when straying from factory....

uncle_asa is right, be careful with the offset. I am probably the "King of VehiCROSS.INFO Wheel Well Trimming" since I have done it so much on mine. Of course, I have 18x8.5 wheels with fat 285/60s which leaves the wheel well and tire tight with space, but even with your size, it is something you should keep in mind when going for your tire size. The offset pushes the wheel out of the well more meaning turns are more likely to cause fender rub. Heck, I just put new tires on that are the same size as my old ones, and I find myself trimming again.

And with a different offset than factory, vehicle weight is changed minutely, so be sure to get an alignment. Offset difference can also wear your bearings faster.

JHarris1385
12/04/2006, 08:02 AM
So essentially if I was and I am wanting to get a 16'' rim, what would be the exact or possible dimensions???

16x __ or __ or __

6-5.5

Offset __ or __ or __ or __

Backspacing __ or __ or __

Hub centric or not or does it completely matter?

I am glad I did not get those yet. I was about to put my order in online without even calling last night becuase they were closed. I want to get a 245/75-16 tire. Any suggestions on that. I am currently running 265 and think I want a narrower tire with more sidewall.

Thanks for any help....

nfpgasmask
12/04/2006, 08:50 AM
I think it will mostly depend on how big you go with tires. The American Racing rims I just put on were 16.8 with a 0 offset and 4.5 on the backside and they don't stick out that much at all. At least, imo they look good and the amount of sticking out does not bother me in the least. But, I think it depends on the size of the rim and the manufacturer. Worm's rims seem to protrude a little more than mine, but I think that might be because they are bigger.

Here is the thread about my rims (http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=9908&highlight=teflon+chambers)

I also only put on LT245/70 R16s and only had to trim a smidge, which is fine cause I really didn't want to trim at all.

Bart

PS - I know exactly what you're going through, I dwelled on those Chambers for like 6 months before I actually worked up the nerve (and the money) to buy them. Its a lot of money for something you aren't 100% positive will work.

uncle_asa
12/04/2006, 08:57 AM
So essentially if I was and I am wanting to get a 16'' rim, what would be the exact or possible dimensions???

The stock wheels for Isuzu are 15", 16", and 18", 7J (rim width), 6x5.5, ET+38 (offset), back spacing (5.5), D100 (center bore).
I believe for the 245/75 the best would be 7J, ET+25 through ET+38 or 7.5J ET+20 through ET+32. See picture to convert ET to backspacing:
http://www.rsracing.com/images/tech-wheeloffset.gif
Normally, if you go with wider tires you should end with wider rims and lower offset (f.e. for 265 tires it would be best 7.5J or 8J and ET=38-(265-245)/2=28).
The center bore should be not less, but common 108-110 are OK (you hardly find 100 exactly, but beware of the wheels with D78 - they will not fit!).

I'm personally running 245/70R16 on 7J ET+20 and I wish the bigger offset since my car become dirty a bit quickly.

JHarris1385
12/04/2006, 09:44 AM
Wow I am lost. Why cant it just be easier?

Triathlete
12/04/2006, 09:53 AM
Wow I am lost. Why cant it just be easier?

Easiest way is to find a good shop that will go out of its way to sell you what you want and carries what you want and have them mount up several tire/wheel combos and test fit them! Then you know if they will fit.

JHarris1385
12/04/2006, 10:05 AM
I dont have any nearby shops that have 6-bolt rims in stock for text fitting....I live in Southern Indiana and there are not many shops. There is a pep boys (the largest around my area as far as automotive shops are concerned,) but they only display tuner racing rims 4&5 bolt rims and only about 7 are in stock of those. Im certain I will have to purchase the rims off line. I like the rock crawler set up to the one above. Not to incredibly picky I just am looking for a set under $500.....

nfpgasmask
12/04/2006, 11:32 AM
I dont have any nearby shops that have 6-bolt rims in stock for text fitting....I live in Southern Indiana and there are not many shops. There is a pep boys (the largest around my area as far as automotive shops are concerned,) but they only display tuner racing rims 4&5 bolt rims and only about 7 are in stock of those. Im certain I will have to purchase the rims off line. I like the rock crawler set up to the one above. Not to incredibly picky I just am looking for a set under $500.....

Yup, I went through the exact same thing. I was almost just going to order one rim, do a test fit myself, and then go from there. You just need to find a place that will let you do a refund, but you will eat the cost of shipping back and possibly have a restocking fee too.

I actually found a Big-O Tires that had the AR Teflon Chambers on display. I asked the sales guy behind the counter and he assured me they will fit Isuzus. That gave me enough confidence to just order the rims. I was still nervous until the day they came in and I did a successful test fit in my garage.

Sometimes, you just have to say "eff' it" and order the rims you want. Worst comes to worse they don't fit and you can sell them on eBay or something. Its a huge pain but if it works out you will be rolling on the wheels you want.

Bart

JHarris1385
12/04/2006, 12:54 PM
Well if this has the same deminsions as Bart (nfpgasmask's) chambers then why would this not work. I will gladly trim the cladding a little to fit this. I dont understand the offset to backspaing issue? Nor do I get hub cntric or not? Thanks again.

JHarris1385
12/04/2006, 05:09 PM
Anyone?

nfpgasmask
12/04/2006, 08:48 PM
I think they will fit if the specs are the same. I would just make sure the hub is big enough to fit our truck. Just make a few phone calls and tell them you have a 2001 Trooper and ask if these rims will work. If 2 or 3 wheel shops say "yes" to that question, I would say you are on the safe side. But, don't blame me if they don't fit! :eek:

:) Go for it, and post photos when you get them on!

Bart

nfpgasmask
12/04/2006, 08:54 PM
About the hub centric thing, I would just call a few shops that sell these rims and ask them which ones have the bigger opening. They should be able to tell you which ones can be used with Toyotas, Nissans and Isuzus and which ones are for GM Trucks. From the link you posted, it looks similar to the way American Racing has their wheels listed. There are two sets of Chambers in 16x8, 0, 6x5.5, one for GM Trucks and one for the rest. You do not want the ones for GM Trucks, which I THINK, are the hub centric ones, but I could be wrong, you need to call and talk to some shops...they should have the answers you seek.

Bart

WormGod
12/05/2006, 08:44 AM
Don't be too afraid of extending from the wells.... just be aware that you may end up doing some trimming. I extend a little over 1" but it's a nice aggressive look. Cops don't like it too much and it creates a nasty but cool looking rooster tail in rain. I only drive it on weekends though, so it stays low profile.

These are 18x8.5 (6-5.5) with 0 offset.... it's all about researching and taking that chance. The tires are 285/60 Yokohamas, but they have since been replaced by the same size Grapplers.... which are actually larger due to the tread.

http://wormgod.8m.com/Images/Misc/aug/P8243224.jpg

JHarris1385
12/05/2006, 12:54 PM
Ok I am really doing it Harry.........Im buying these rims today all four and they will fit. I will post picks of how great they look once they arrive and I get some rubber on them. I have been talked into getting some fatter tires too.

nfpgasmask
12/05/2006, 01:15 PM
Good luck dude!

Ok I am really doing it Harry.........Im buying these rims today all four and they will fit. I will post picks of how great they look once they arrive and I get some rubber on them. I have been talked into getting some fatter tires too.

PHO2GR4
12/05/2006, 01:38 PM
Sweeeet! He's gonna do it first, so I don't hafta!

;)

I wish you success, because I am NEXT on the chopping block. Well, my checkbook is the one on the chopping block, technically...

JHarris1385
12/05/2006, 01:46 PM
So your getting the same rim or same dimensions?

nfpgasmask
12/05/2006, 01:48 PM
I wish you success, because I am NEXT on the chopping block. Well, my checkbook is the one on the chopping block, technically...

Yeah, I just got my AMEX bill in the mail, it includes the rims, the tires AND the cost of moving from Chicago to Reno...

Talk about setting me back.

Bart

PHO2GR4
12/13/2006, 08:29 PM
So your getting the same rim or same dimensions?

I think I'll go with Bart's find: the Teflon-coated Chambers. I may try to squeeze some 265/70R 16 Yokohamas on them. Probably need to trim, or maybe change my shocks and crank the torsion bars up an inch...after which I'd still probably have to trim!!!

Any thoughts, folks?

JHarris1385
12/14/2006, 02:34 PM
Alright its done and they look great. I put them in 265/75/16 all terrian tires. And guess what? I have to crank the torsion bars so I dont rub. I have already trimmed the cladding a bit, but they rub on the back wall of the front fender. I am planning on lifting the whole thing this weekend; just got the OME 912's in the mail yesterday but till then Im cranking the bars a bit tonight.

first thing first.
1.) These do not stick out much at all, actually less than my previous set up. REPEAT...THEY DO NOT STICK WAY OUT like some said

I will repost again with pics and more info, I am stuck at work thinking about how I want to lift and drive it NOW.

nfpgasmask
12/14/2006, 02:56 PM
Nice! POST PICS! POST PICS! POST PICS!

:) Bart

Alright its done and they look great. I put them in 265/75/16 all terrian tires. And guess what? I have to crank the torsion bars so I dont rub. I have already trimmed the cladding a bit, but they rub on the back wall of the front fender. I am planning on lifting the whole thing this weekend; just got the OME 912's in the mail yesterday but till then Im cranking the bars a bit tonight.

first thing first.
1.) These do not stick out much at all, actually less than my previous set up. REPEAT...THEY DO NOT STICK WAY OUT like some said

I will repost again with pics and more info, I am stuck at work thinking about how I want to lift and drive it NOW.

Ldub
12/15/2006, 01:52 PM
1.) These do not stick out much at all, actually less than my previous set up. REPEAT...THEY DO NOT STICK WAY OUT like some said.

The more neg. offset & taller profile of the tires is why they rub the rear of the fenderwell...
The only cure I'm aware of, outside of adjusting the steering stops & increasing your min. turning radius, is a B F H adjustment where contact is being made, along with some more trimming.

PHO2GR4
12/15/2006, 10:19 PM
B F H = Big Fat Hammer?!?

ZEUS
12/15/2006, 10:29 PM
Close enough.. that's the PG version.