PDA

View Full Version : smaller wheels?

noobydude
12/02/2006, 07:44 PM
hey everyone,
new forum member here and i know this one of those questions that probably resurfaces every month from noobies like me, but here goes again:

i have 18'' stock on my VX but was thinking of going down to 16's just because i have an affordable offer from a connection.
i know that going UP in size can affect mileage,speedometer, etc.
am i correct in thinking going down in size does the same? and to what degree(s)?

Triathlete
12/02/2006, 07:48 PM
Rim siz will have no affect. Tire diameter and wheel/tire weight do however. Also make sure your "new" wheels have the correct center bore. The VX has a large hub.

nfpgasmask
12/02/2006, 07:55 PM
I just went from stock 18" rims to 16" American Racing rims. I do not notice much of a change in my MPG. Like Tri said, make sure you get a rim with a large hub opening and the right back spacing/offset. Also, since you are going down to a 16" wheel, do a test fit on the front end and make sure the rims clear the brake calipers.

Then you are good to go!

Bart

Ruflyf
12/02/2006, 08:00 PM
And lastly dont forget to donate your stock 18's to your fellow vxer clear across the country. lol

noobydude
12/02/2006, 08:02 PM
thanks guys,
and just to make sure,there shouldn't be an issue with speedometer or messing with the TOD/ABS systems or drivetrain?
i heard going bigger had effects on those things, but going down in size should not be a prob?

nfpgasmask
12/02/2006, 08:34 PM
Hey Ruf, I did make the decision to sell my stock rims, but they need to go with the tires because I have some $$$ in them. I want $1000 for all four or $250 each. Otherwise, I'm keeping them...

:) Bart

And lastly dont forget to donate your stock 18's to your fellow vxer clear across the country. lol

nfpgasmask
12/02/2006, 08:35 PM
I don't think you will have any issues there unless you do something drastic like lift and put 33" Swampers on... :p

Bart

thanks guys,
and just to make sure,there shouldn't be an issue with speedometer or messing with the TOD/ABS systems or drivetrain?
i heard going bigger had effects on those things, but going down in size should not be a prob?

MZ-N10
12/02/2006, 11:29 PM
sac huh....ill take those rims off u...NO CHARGE. lol

Ruflyf
12/03/2006, 05:58 AM
as long as all 4 tires get replaced and stay the same size, TOD should work fine, unless something drastic like Bart mentioned.

Bart, thanks but I cant really do the $1k currently. Especially with Christmas around the corner

Ldub
12/03/2006, 07:04 AM
First things first...

Welcome to the Fam... :cool:

thanks guys,

Here's how it works...going up OR down in size from stock will have an effect on your speedo/odo...
A tire with a larger overall diameter makes fewer revolutions per mile.

A tire with a smaller overall diameter has to make more revolutions to cover that same distance.

I hope this will help, rather than add to the confusion...

Stock 99 tire : 245/70x16".....29.5 oa diameter
Stock 00/01 tire : 245/60x18".29.57 oa dia.
........................265/70x16"..30.6 oa dia. (common upgraded replacment size, with a little trimming)
........................285/75x16"..32.83 oa dia. (common upgraded size, w/lift & trimming)

All the above info. is for stock rims...an aftermarket rim with a different offset (usually more negative...towards the outside of fender) will throw all the lift/trimming info. completely off. :rolleyes:

etlsport
12/03/2006, 09:30 AM
from the scangauge II instruction manual on how to adjust your speed with different tire size...

The approximate % to use for a tire size
change can be computed by dividing the diameter of the original
equipment tire by the diameter of the new tire, subtract this from 1 and
multiply by 100. For instance, if the diameter of the original tires was 24
inches and the size of the new tire is 30 inches, 100x(1-(24/30)) = 20. (you are going 20% faster than what your speedo reads)

crager34
12/04/2006, 09:20 PM
Check my gallery. 17" rims.

noobydude
12/05/2006, 08:29 AM
thanks everyone,
hopefully they will work out