PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with a couple of dumb questions

Heraclid
05/02/2003, 08:04 PM
Re: VIN numbers, if my last four numbers are 1613, then is that the number it was off the production line for that model year? How many were made in 1999?
How many are in the US?

Have a problem with the windows, which seems common. Not real crazy about taking apart the door... any ideas?

What is the best way to take light scuffs off the headlights without creating a haze problem or just making matters worse?

How hard is it to get replacements parts? Did they kinda break the mold and we're pretty SOL, or is it still fairly doable? Like if I ever have a problem with the hood insert, for example. Ever need a new piece of cladding... etc...

Heraclid
05/02/2003, 08:15 PM
Thought the Ironman was the only version w/ red/black Recaros and the roof rack, but mine has it and yet has no Ironman badging and no Ironamn hood insert. Must have been wrong, right?

SPAZZ
05/02/2003, 08:37 PM
no, not the only one with red/black. certain ext colors have certain interior colors.

Moncha
05/02/2003, 08:46 PM
Welcome to the club..

Yes the last 4 = the production number for the production year.. There's quite a bit of discussion on this. Searching will get you there.

Window problem.. Try this (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=378&highlight=window+problem)

A quality plastic polish approved for Lexan will do.. Practice first though

Car manufactures must provide replacement parts for 10 years after the last production date of a vehicle.. Parts may be slow but they are there..

Again, WELCOME!!

IsuZOOM
05/02/2003, 08:52 PM
Welcome!

Lots of new members (including myself!) lately - could this be the Renaissance of the VX? :)

AnalogVX
05/02/2003, 09:45 PM
Welcome! Don't worry about parts until something breaks, then replace it with one the many mods and parts avaiable from the forums!:D

BumbleV-X
05/02/2003, 10:33 PM
I hate to break anyones bubble........ BUT

The story that the manufacturer needs to make parts for your vehicle for 10 years is not "all" true. Yes, they need to make the parts that make your car run for 10 years after the end of production. No, they do not have to make ALL parts for 10 years after the end of production. Your aluminum engine that requires special parts that Isuzu didn't make for their other fleet of vehicles will be available for 10 years.
Your cladding, 10 years down the road you may not find that cladding. Cosmetics are a luxury, not a necessity.
Our question should be, who is going to determine what is a necessity, and what is cosmetic. Our hood insert, front light casing, cladding, seats, and many other parts are designed just for our vehicle. Will they be a necessity, or cosmetic fabrication 12 years down the road?

Zu4two
05/02/2003, 11:40 PM
Bubble popper!

BumbleV-X
05/02/2003, 11:50 PM
lol sorry

all good things must come to an end :waab:

Heraclid
05/03/2003, 07:19 AM
Moncha, thanks about the window, but I'd already looked at that and I guess I'm a wuss because I'm just not comfortable taking the door apart myself. Don't want to screw anything up.

Heraclid
05/03/2003, 07:21 AM
How many were produced in 1999, if anyone knows? I'm guessing there were more in '99 and less each successive year afterward... is that correct?

Moncha
05/03/2003, 07:41 AM
ChIcKeN!! :winky:

Here's a link (http://club.vmag.com/ubb/Forum39/HTML/003374.html) to help answer your production # question.