PDA

View Full Version : Ok, another tire/wheel question, need advise.

Jim Hanzak
11/30/2006, 05:54 PM
Im looking to get a tire and wheel package for my VX........ Im looking at the Super Swamper radial SSR...I want the big aggressive look. Can any of you recommend what size is the largest I can get, without a lift? Also, I want to go to an 18 " rim...question is....I need numbers... like backspace/offsets. What would you all recommend? looking at Helo rims. Honestly looking for exact sizes, so I can go ahead and place my order. Im so confused. lol

WormGod
12/01/2006, 07:41 AM
Its hard to say since it seems many have used same size tires and some had to trim and some didnt. It also depends on the wheel width. In my experience, a 285/60 on an 8.5 wheel called for front and rear trim of the front well, but that is most likely due to the 8.5 wheel because other have used 285/60 tires without trimming. And better yet, I just replaced my 285/60 Yokohamas with some Nitto Grapplers and even more trimming had to be done, perhaps from the aggressive tread. So ya, I guess you can see where it's a touch and go thing. But remember, you can always crank on the torsion some to avoid some rubbing.

iamjacksadrenalgland
12/01/2006, 08:19 AM
i'm running the same setup as wormgod:
285/60/18 nitto terragrapplers
18x8.5 enkei's with 0 offset

and yes, significant trimming is required. there are a few pics in my gallery ...

Triathlete
12/01/2006, 08:39 AM
Interco (Super Swamper) tires tend to run on the large side so be prepared to trim a bit more than with other tires. Is your VX lifted or not? That will make some differance in how big you can go.

Jim Hanzak
12/01/2006, 04:08 PM
thank you all for your advise. I know Ill have some trimming to do, since I dont have a lift on my VX.

Triathlete
12/01/2006, 09:55 PM
With no trimming the biggest you will fit are 31x10.5's with stock rims or rims with the same offset. And even then depending on the tire you may have to do a little or a lot of trimming. My BFG AT's in that size fit fine. My MTR's in the same size with a lift required some trimming.

Solitude
12/02/2006, 01:30 AM
I would stick with the 16size you got... more user friendly without lifting your VX
I would have gone to 16s if I was gonna replace wheels.. I went with the 255 55 18s terra grapplers.. seemed like it was the only tire availible that didnt require trimming... but then again.. havent offroaded with em yet either.. might have to trim the debris when I get back on road..