PDA

View Full Version : HELP! The VX won't stay running

CrnCnn
11/30/2006, 04:06 PM
The VX will start but then when i try to put it into gear it will die! what would cause that? We already replaced the Mass Flow because the "check Engine: light came on and that was the code they gave us. But now this. HELP!!! PLEASE!!! :confused:

nfpgasmask
11/30/2006, 05:02 PM
...that sucks. Let me know if you wanna work on it together.

Also, look at this thread (http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=9909&highlight=major+problem) from a week or so ago. I think climbcovey was/is having the same issue. Maybe you guys should compare symptoms, etc..

Bart

IndianaVX
11/30/2006, 07:39 PM
im sure climbcovey will chime in. if not, pm him. from what we have talked about,clean your iac, egr. he can give you all the details. real good guy. get your codes checked

kpaske
12/01/2006, 08:42 AM
Does it happen all the time? Mine occassionally has issues when it gets really, really, really cold where it likes to stall when I don't have my foot on the gas, OR it'll idle too high when I first start it up. Once the temp goes above 32F or so it goes away.

uncle_asa
12/01/2006, 12:08 PM
The VX will start but then when i try to put it into gear it will die! what would cause that? We already replaced the Mass Flow because the "check Engine: light came on and that was the code they gave us. But now this. HELP!!! PLEASE!!! :confused:
Check that you securely fixed connector and if it securely fit check the wiring. One day I forgot to set plug back to MAF and the behavior was exactly the same.

CrnCnn
12/01/2006, 04:07 PM
The problem is intermittent, but often enough to anger me. It will happen one day and be fine another. sometimes at idle it will act like there was a vacuum leak the RPM's will go up to about 1k then down to about 200. It will die occasionally when stopping or if you let off the gas, an example of this would be in a parking garage, coming down I didn’t have my foot on the gas at all, as soon as I start turning or apply the break... Dead... put it in neutral to restart then next turn ... dead... VERY aggravating. I have read most cases of this have been fixed by replacing the fuel pressure regulator. Given that its not 100 percent I don’t want to dump another 100 dollars in it and still have the same symptoms.

GRRRRRR

nfpgasmask
12/01/2006, 04:13 PM
Clint, let me know what you do next, and if you decide to look for a mechanic. I am still trying to find a trustworthy, Isuzu friendly shop here in the Reno area. I need my bearings repacked, brakes and rotors changed and depending on how things pan out, possibly to get this coolant leak looked at.

I love my VX, but man, its a full time job keeping her up to speed.

GRRRRRR from me too.

Bart

The problem is intermittent, but often enough to anger me. It will happen one day and be fine another. sometimes at idle it will act like there was a vacuum leak the RPM's will go up to about 1k then down to about 200. It will die occasionally when stopping or if you let off the gas, an example of this would be in a parking garage, coming down I didn’t have my foot on the gas at all, as soon as I start turning or apply the break... Dead... put it in neutral to restart then next turn ... dead... VERY aggravating. I have read most cases of this have been fixed by replacing the fuel pressure regulator. Given that its not 100 percent I don’t want to dump another 100 dollars in it and still have the same symptoms.

GRRRRRR

Ruflyf
12/01/2006, 04:54 PM
Erratic idle symptoms that I have noticed should always start with a good idle control valve cleaning. There are a few threads on performing this easy operation. Plus its free to do, which always makes for a good start.

JGeorge264
12/01/2006, 05:10 PM
Mine was doing the same thing, very erratic. Run fine one day, die quietly the next until one day it just wouldn't stay started. I replaced the idol control valve and everything has been great since. Its an inexpensive part, around $50.00 and a 10 minute start to finish install. Good luck!

CrnCnn
12/01/2006, 05:36 PM
Thanks guys its been a pain I will try all these suggestions tomorrow.

Bart, I don’t really plan on taking to a mechanic unless things get serious. I have worked on all my own vehicles since I was like 14, so I am fairly confident in doing things myself, plus it’s cheaper. But if I find anyone I will definitely let you know.

IndianaVX
12/01/2006, 05:56 PM
you might try grabbing the wiring harness on the drivers side, kinda laying on the fender well. jiggle it around a bit, and see if the idle revs, or dies. also check all plugs, get some dielectric grease, adn grease the plugs up. these are things chris(climbcovey ) has done. i think hes about got it whiped.. are you getting a check engine light, and if so, what are the codes???

nfpgasmask
12/01/2006, 07:44 PM
Bart, I don’t really plan on taking to a mechanic unless things get serious. I have worked on all my own vehicles since I was like 14, so I am fairly confident in doing things myself, plus it’s cheaper. But if I find anyone I will definitely let you know.

Well, $h1T man, then we need to fix my coolant leak together :p

!!!Bart

CrnCnn
12/02/2006, 12:27 PM
No engine light, which is a pain cause it is a guessing game.

99VX4x4
12/03/2006, 08:47 AM
had a very similar prob, ended up being with the air intake if you have the stock box make sure it is completely closed

CrnCnn
12/03/2006, 05:17 PM
Well I changed the Idle air control valve and so far that seemed to do it. I also changed the PCV valve and now the check engine light came on. I took it to AutoZone to get the code and it is calling for bad O2 sensor. Apparently there are four and they are 50 a pop. I don’t really want to change them all if only one is bad. Any suggestions?

At least it seems to be running normal.

nfpgasmask
12/03/2006, 06:01 PM
Well Clint, that's good news. You down for a meet up next weekend?

I wonder if there are any VXers from Sacramento that would come over for a meet...

Bart

Well I changed the Idle air control valve and so far that seemed to do it. I also changed the PCV valve and now the check engine light came on. I took it to AutoZone to get the code and it is calling for bad O2 sensor. Apparently there are four and they are 50 a pop. I don’t really want to change them all if only one is bad. Any suggestions?

At least it seems to be running normal.

Ruflyf
12/03/2006, 06:44 PM
Before you buy any reset your ecm, it may be just a different reading then it was used to. I was getting bad o2 sensors and disconnecting the battery for 30 mins to reset seemed to have fixed it.

CrnCnn
12/04/2006, 08:43 PM
Okey Dokey

Well after changing the Mass air flow semsor, the Idle air control and the PCV valve we'er all good. The Check engine light was on and on the way home from the downfall of mom and pop stores(Wal-Mart) the light turned off!!!!

So everything seems groooooovy.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice.

Clint

nfpgasmask
12/04/2006, 08:44 PM
Awesome, so I'm game for Saturday or Sunday. We can just meet up, or even take'm off road a tad if you want ;)

Anyone else wanna come to Reno for a mini-meet?

Bart

Okey Dokey

Well after changing the Mass air flow semsor, the Idle air control and the PCV valve we'er all good. The Check engine light was on and on the way home from the downfall of mom and pop stores(Wal-Mart) the light turned off!!!!

So everything seems groooooovy.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice.

Clint

jiddu79
12/07/2006, 03:33 PM
Guys

First let me say it feels good to talk with other people who share the same problems as I do with my Vehicross. You guys have no idea how many times I have asked people about my problem and they have looked at me like I had 3 heads. Or mechanics that have no idea how to deal with this issue because I drive a Vehicross anyway.....

I don't know much about cars so you are really going to have to spell this out for me but the problem described here is the same one I have. One day the car runs fine the next not so good, when I let me foot off the accelerator the car turns off, it will rev up really high when I start the car it will rev up and down on it's own at times. So how did you finally fix the problem? Please spell it out for me because again I don't know much about car parts. Thanks

Jiddu79