PDA

View Full Version : I think I just bought a VX!

PHO2GR4
11/30/2006, 11:08 AM
::gulp::

I just committed to buying a 1999 Ebony VX!

Please tell me I didn't make an impulse purchase. I didn't meet the eBay reserve price, but the seller contacted me and made me a pretty good offer after the auction. Go to http://www.ebay.com and check out this completed item:

Now I can have fun debadging and re-wheeling and too-much-modding and stuff! Who has some skid plates and roof racks and cone filters for me?!?

Cyrk
11/30/2006, 11:56 AM
Sweet!

JHarris1385
11/30/2006, 12:20 PM
Can I ask how much the offer was?

Solitude
11/30/2006, 12:24 PM
have ya got someone to move it for ya yet or are ya going on a road trip....

PHO2GR4
11/30/2006, 12:28 PM
Sure, you can ask! :p

Just kidding. My maximum bid was $9650, but that didn't reach the "Reserve Price", so I just thought I was out of luck. But this morning, the seller called me and offered the VX to me at $9900. I thought that was a fair price, so I jumped at it.

I know it'll be WAY over $9900 by the time I have it shipped, then buy some skid plates, maybe a GPS navigation and rear-camera system, find out of Tone has any trunk poppers left, get a roof rack installed, etc etc etc. But I need a good winter project.

JHarris1385
11/30/2006, 12:45 PM
It looks great congrats.....keep us posted on the mods....Im looking for a skip plate as well....

nfpgasmask
11/30/2006, 12:58 PM
That's a real nice looking VX. Good show and congrats. I saw it the other day. I wish I could afford two. I almost emailed my brother in South Florida to see if he wanted it.

Have fun trying to find a roof rack. :)

Bart

kpaske
11/30/2006, 01:15 PM
Welcome to the club! :) Nice to have another VXer in the PNW.

Ldub
11/30/2006, 02:51 PM
YAY !!!

:thumbup: :clap: :jump: :clap: :thumbup:

PHO2GR4
11/30/2006, 03:41 PM
Hi Kyle,

We MAY have met a looooooooong time ago at a Seattle VX meet, back when I had my '99 Ironman VX. Tone even made the long journey to be a part of the group!

Anyway, once I get my car delivered, I'd love to get together with you to compare notes. I've got great plans for my new Ebony ride.

Also...what's up with your website?!?
http://kpaske.shacknet.nu/public/vx.htm

Your server stopped responding!

biju
11/30/2006, 03:47 PM
This is great news. congratulations.

the VX looks like it's in great shape. keep us posted on the mods, and most of all have fun!

-biju.

VCAMILO
11/30/2006, 03:47 PM
CONGRATS (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fws%2Fsearch %2FSaleSearch%3Fsofocus%3Dbs%26satitle%3D170053174 440%26sacat%3D-1%2526catref%253DC5%26fbd%3D1%26sspagename%3Dh%253 Ah%253Aadvsearch%253AUS%26from%3DR6%26nojspr%3Dy%2 6pfid%3D0%26fswc%3D1%26few%3D%26saprclo%3D%26saprc hi%3D%26fss%3D0%26saslop%3D1%26sasl%3D%26fls%3D4%2 526floc%253D1%26sargn%3D-1%2526saslc%253D0%26salic%3D1%26saatc%3D1%26sadis% 3D200%26fpos%3D85224%26fsct%3D%26sacur%3D0%26sacqy op%3Dge%26sacqy%3D%26ftrt%3D1%26ftrv%3D1%26sabdlo% 3D%26sabdhi%3D%26saaff%3Dafdefault%26afcj%3D%26afm p%3D%26fsop%3D1%2526fsoo%253D1%26fcl%3D3%26frpp%3D 50%26fvi%3D1&item=170053174440) My brother lives 30 minutes from Boca... I wish I was there right now! CONGRATS AND WELCOME! From one corner of the US to the other. Probably the longest trip a VX will take w/out moving its wheels. :)

Mark B
11/30/2006, 04:49 PM
AWSOME. Welcome to the family.
I live in Tampa Bay area of Florida, a few hours away from Boca.

nfpgasmask
11/30/2006, 04:54 PM
Haha, thats funny V, my brothers live IN Boca, so we both got Chicago ties and Florida ties ;) But I am MOST glad I am NOT there right now.... You Floridians can keep your humidity, bugs, and I-95!

;) Bart

CONGRATS (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fws%2Fsearch %2FSaleSearch%3Fsofocus%3Dbs%26satitle%3D170053174 440%26sacat%3D-1%2526catref%253DC5%26fbd%3D1%26sspagename%3Dh%253 Ah%253Aadvsearch%253AUS%26from%3DR6%26nojspr%3Dy%2 6pfid%3D0%26fswc%3D1%26few%3D%26saprclo%3D%26saprc hi%3D%26fss%3D0%26saslop%3D1%26sasl%3D%26fls%3D4%2 526floc%253D1%26sargn%3D-1%2526saslc%253D0%26salic%3D1%26saatc%3D1%26sadis% 3D200%26fpos%3D85224%26fsct%3D%26sacur%3D0%26sacqy op%3Dge%26sacqy%3D%26ftrt%3D1%26ftrv%3D1%26sabdlo% 3D%26sabdhi%3D%26saaff%3Dafdefault%26afcj%3D%26afm p%3D%26fsop%3D1%2526fsoo%253D1%26fcl%3D3%26frpp%3D 50%26fvi%3D1&item=170053174440) My brother lives 30 minutes from Boca... I wish I was there right now! CONGRATS AND WELCOME! From one corner of the US to the other. Probably the longest trip a VX will take w/out moving its wheels. :)

Solitude
11/30/2006, 05:11 PM
guess the road trip is out.... being a car hauler.. have hauled many vehicles many miles without turning their tires,(think thats a good thing though) :_snowplow

PHO2GR4
11/30/2006, 08:17 PM
I was actually hoping to make a VX Purchase Road Trip. A couple of years ago I flew down to California to buy a Nissan 350Z Roadster, then drove it back up to Seattle along the California and Oregon coast.

Just me and the dog! That was an effin' great trip.

Sadly, Boca is just a BIT too far, given my schedule and time constraints. I'd only make that drive if I could do it right. That would mean LOTS of time to explore. Turn left or right as the weather dictated. Go to Asheville, NC...visit my relatives in Mississippi...see why Austin, TX is so popular...win enough money in Vegas to pay for the VX and the trip...etc.

In fact, I WILL be making a big road trip in March '07. Through Eastern Oregon and down through Cali, hitting Vegas for a huge photography convention. After Vegas, who knows? I'm up for ideas...

PHO2GR4
12/09/2006, 05:55 PM
So, yeah.......impatiently waiting here. It's Saturday night, and the auto transport company told me they would call today to schedule tomorrow's delivery time.

No call yet!

Maybe the driver is behind schedule or something. Sigh.

nfpgasmask
12/09/2006, 06:32 PM
The anxiety must be killin you...

Bart

So, yeah.......impatiently waiting here. It's Saturday night, and the auto transport company told me they would call today to schedule tomorrow's delivery time.

No call yet!

Ldub
12/09/2006, 07:47 PM
THE WAITING IS THE HARDEST PART !

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/TP.jpg

biju
12/09/2006, 07:59 PM
OH, THE AGONY! Hang in there...

-biju

Triathlete
12/09/2006, 08:22 PM

Ah, probably just stuck in one of those big snowstorms!
Would've been there by now if you lived in one of these sunshine winter states! :rotate: http://wheelingarizona.com/forums/images/smiles/evil3.gif

PHO2GR4
12/09/2006, 11:54 PM
You can't imagine how often I've DREAMED of wintering in a place like Arizona or Texas.

I'm sure it'll happen...

Ruflyf
12/10/2006, 06:03 AM
[QUOTE=PHO2GR4]...visit my relatives in Mississippi...QUOTE]

Grats on your vx, btw what part of MS is your family in? I live here on the coast..Biloxi.

PHO2GR4
12/10/2006, 12:10 PM
Remember the Sartoris clan from Faulkner's novel "Light in August"?

That's us. :cool:

Jackson, Mississippi.

Baxman
12/10/2006, 08:10 PM
Congrats on your new ride, Eric! Has it arrived yet? It would be great to get together with you and others for a NW meet and lunch or [?]. I organized the first two, anyone up to the task?

Rick

PHO2GR4
12/10/2006, 08:16 PM
Hey Rick!

LTNS.

I am up for ANY NW meet-up. I'm SO there.

Except...um...still no VX. Dammit. They'd better deliver it tomorrow, or else I'll...I'll...well, I'll wait until the NEXT day!

geshaw30
12/11/2006, 10:52 AM
[QUOTE=PHO2GR4]You can't imagine how often I've DREAMED of wintering in a place like Arizona or Texas.

There is no joy in a Texas winter-
signed,
"Transplanted Rhode Islander"
________
CHEAP VAPORGENIE (http://vaporizerinfo.com/)

PHO2GR4
12/11/2006, 11:32 AM
Well, as I hear it:

The stars at night,
Are big and bright,
Deep in the heart of Texas!

And at least in Texas I'd be a little closer to Mexico than I am now, up in Seattle. Considerably closer! I could see taking the VX across the border for some off-road fun along the coast(s).

As it is, I'll just have to be cold, wet and patient as I wait for my now-rescheduled TUESDAY MORNING delivery. Yes, the truck driver called and said he'd be in Seattle with my VX sometime tomorrow morning. I'm supposed to meet him at some large parking lot, like a Home Depot or something. I'll try to direct him south of downtown, towards the two stadiums...close to my office, with lots of wide-open spaces for large auto transport trucks to unload.

When news breaks, you'll get it here on the Vehicross.info News Network.

VNN!

PHO2GR4
12/12/2006, 09:10 AM
Well, at 6:15 this morning, I got a phone call from the auto transport truck driver: My car was ready for pickup in downtown Seattle!

Normally I'd kill a person for calling me at 6:15 am, but this time I was excited. Besides, you can't blame the guy for wanting to beat morning traffic. He still has to deliver some cars all the way up north along the I-5 corridor, almost to Canada.

So I hopped out of bed and drove downtown to meet him.

The VX looks great! Sure, it'll need some detailing, and some new floor mats and stuff. But the body, tires and wheels look REALLY nice, especially considering its age!

I fired it up and took it for a spin, and she handles just fine. I'll have it checked out by a local mechanic, just to get an idea of what (if anything) should be done first for maintenance. Knock on wood, though, because this seems like a strong VX. It's got 63500 miles...should I check and see if the timing belt has been changed? Anything else I should look for?

Of course, I was nervous driving it at first, since there was NO LICENSE PLATE and NO GASOLINE. I seriously though I would run out of gas while I was headed towards the local station! This baby was running on vapors. I was also afraid of getting pulled over, with no plates and no documents aside from the delivery manifest.

So I get to the gas station and the attendant comes out and says "Is this something new?" No joke.

I'm off to the license bureau now to get a temporary plate.

Woo hoo! :cool:

Ldub
12/12/2006, 09:19 AM
Sooo, ya STOKED ?... :dance:
Brings back some great memories of the "honeymoon phase" of my new to me VX.
What a rush, people cranking their head around to get a better look, asking questions almost everywhere you stop, & on & on...
Congrats & enjoy the ride !!!

Anita
12/12/2006, 09:21 AM
Yay!! Congrats, bachelor-once-again... or perhaps newlywed to your VX :bwgr:
Enjoy the honeymoon ...

nfpgasmask
12/12/2006, 09:21 AM
Congrats dude, get 'er cleaned up and post some photos!

As for maintenance, I would check/change the oil and pcv post haste, and switch to Mobile-1. I would also check the serpentine belt for cracks and get a new Gatorback if needed.

At the mechanic, I would check all your fluids, especially the trans and make sure it looks clean, and if not, get a new trans filter and have all that fluid drained and switched to a nice sythetic trans fluid.

Do you have any upkeep records with this VX?

These are the things I did with mine when I took ownership. I'm sure some of the others here will have more insight.

Bart

PS - You should also change your icon from an Ironman to an Ebony, especially since black VXs are the coolest ;)

PHO2GR4
12/12/2006, 11:24 PM
Jeez, Bart, you NAILED it!

I spent pretty much all day with my new baby. I can tell that there will be some work ahead of me, but that's all part of fatherhood, right?

1) Serpentine belt IS cracked.
2) LOTS of squeeks. Already ordered the poly bushings...
3) Tiny bits of rust can be seen, for example inside the fuel door lock and along the muffler.
4) Cylinder #3 has a misfire issue. I'm having it looked at next week at the local Isuzu dealership. I've already ordered new NGK Iridium plugs, just for fun.
5) Sort of smells like somebody might have smoked in it. Not a strong smell, but there nonetheless. Any ideas for "detailing" to get rid of sour smoky smells?

On the bright side? The exterior looks almost new. It must have been owned by someone who maintained the LOOKS but maybe not so much the MECHANICS. But wow, it sure looks pretty!

I think the major 60K service will spiff up the performance. I changed the oil + filter today, but I'm having the dealer do the tranny fluid/brake fluid/serpentine belt/other stuff that is out of my league.

It was a fun day, though!

etlsport
12/13/2006, 05:47 AM
place to start with the smoke smell is the carpet and headliner, only two things in the vx that will retain a smell, a small handheld carpet shampoo machine will probably take care of it.. in the mean time.. most diy carwashes have yummy smelling fragrances you can put in your car while you vacuum it.. welcome back to the addiciton

nfpgasmask
12/13/2006, 08:11 AM
Hahal, I bought mine with 28k miles and my serp belt was cracked, so I could only imagine how bad it would be if I had let it go till 60k. About the missfire, spark plugs will hopefully fix that. Hopefully its not something worse. Are you getting a Check Engine light?

Bart

Jeez, Bart, you NAILED it!

I spent pretty much all day with my new baby. I can tell that there will be some work ahead of me, but that's all part of fatherhood, right?

1) Serpentine belt IS cracked.
2) LOTS of squeeks. Already ordered the poly bushings...
3) Tiny bits of rust can be seen, for example inside the fuel door lock and along the muffler.
4) Cylinder #3 has a misfire issue. I'm having it looked at next week at the local Isuzu dealership. I've already ordered new NGK Iridium plugs, just for fun.
5) Sort of smells like somebody might have smoked in it. Not a strong smell, but there nonetheless. Any ideas for "detailing" to get rid of sour smoky smells?

On the bright side? The exterior looks almost new. It must have been owned by someone who maintained the LOOKS but maybe not so much the MECHANICS. But wow, it sure looks pretty!

I think the major 60K service will spiff up the performance. I changed the oil + filter today, but I'm having the dealer do the tranny fluid/brake fluid/serpentine belt/other stuff that is out of my league.

It was a fun day, though!

PHO2GR4
12/13/2006, 10:37 AM
Strangely...no check engine light. It's idling pretty rough, so I'm surprised the CEL hasn't come on at all! I don't know if I WANT it on (to prove that it'll warn me when I need to know!) or DON'T want it on (because that would mean a serious problem).

The code is definitely for a 3rd cylinder misfire, and the symptoms back it up.

The other little issues can wait. The passenger-side AC/heater vent has a LOUD rattle whenever the fan is on. I don't know if I'll need a new fan housing, or if there's a leaf or some dead mouse bones in there, but DAMN it's obnoxious.

The wiper motors worry me, because I know they'll be hard to replace...and in Seattle, you need good wipers. These seem "weak" when I turn them on. I wish we could just swap them out with some Rodeo or Trooper wiper motors. Anybody try that yet?

The other noises and squeaks will hopefully be lessened with some serious Dynamatting. I want to tighten this girl up a bit. I'm also looking at new shocks (maybe the Rancho RS9000's? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?) and then new tires and wheels. I think I'll steal Bart's idea for those Teflon Chambers. Imitation being the best form of flattery, and all...

PHO2GR4
12/13/2006, 10:42 AM
place to start with the smoke smell is the carpet and headliner, only two things in the vx that will retain a smell, a small handheld carpet shampoo machine will probably take care of it.. in the mean time.. most diy carwashes have yummy smelling fragrances you can put in your car while you vacuum it.. welcome back to the addiciton

Hi etlsport,

Yes, this VX will definitely need the Detailing of the Year. Inside, anyway...the exterior looks great.

I wish there was a way to just REPLACE all of the carpet inside. What would that take? I don't suppose Isuzu of America has any carpet kits, huh? Laying around, in case of rebuilds and such?

And what about replacing a headliner?!?

I can shampoo it, of course, but it'll take something really special, because the car already smells like "shampoo and scent", if you know what I mean.

I'll also give the leather surfaces a really good cleaning and conditining.

nfpgasmask
12/13/2006, 10:54 AM
So wait, you are getting codes with no CEL? Did you take it to Autozone and have them check for codes? Thats weird that there is a misfire code and no CE Light. When mine was running rough it turned out to be I was too low on gas. I would make sure you put a good, clean tank of juice in there and maybe even throw in a bottle of HEET to get rid of any water. With the cross country change of climate and altitude, you never know, maybe some condensation in the tank. And changing the spark plugs should also be good, I hope that does the trick.

Let me know when you are ready to order the Chambers. I had a REALLY hard time locating a set. I probably called like 5 different shops (all were out of stock) and then I finally ordered from a guy who had a set on eBay. Real nice guy and he shipped right away. I paid $770 for the set shipped to me in Reno. This place ( Wheels For Less (http://www.wheelsforless.com) ) was where I was going to originally order from (they have free shipping and good prices) but they had no stock and no eta on a restock. Hopefully, but the time you are ready, they will have them in stock somewhere to order.

Bart

Strangely...no check engine light. It's idling pretty rough, so I'm surprised the CEL hasn't come on at all! I don't know if I WANT it on (to prove that it'll warn me when I need to know!) or DON'T want it on (because that would mean a serious problem).

The code is definitely for a 3rd cylinder misfire, and the symptoms back it up.

The other little issues can wait. The passenger-side AC/heater vent has a LOUD rattle whenever the fan is on. I don't know if I'll need a new fan housing, or if there's a leaf or some dead mouse bones in there, but DAMN it's obnoxious.

The wiper motors worry me, because I know they'll be hard to replace...and in Seattle, you need good wipers. These seem "weak" when I turn them on. I wish we could just swap them out with some Rodeo or Trooper wiper motors. Anybody try that yet?

The other noises and squeaks will hopefully be lessened with some serious Dynamatting. I want to tighten this girl up a bit. I'm also looking at new shocks (maybe the Rancho RS9000's? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?) and then new tires and wheels. I think I'll steal Bart's idea for those Teflon Chambers. Imitation being the best form of flattery, and all...

etlsport
12/13/2006, 11:02 AM
a lot of the carpeting would be easy to replace, the only place its really molded is in the front, but all through the rear the carpet is just kinda laying there..

havent done the headliner in the VX, but id imagine it would be fairly easy, ive done other headliners with no problems, usually the problem with headliners is dome lights, sunroofs etc, the roof of the vx is pretty clear, just use some good spray on adhesive and some patience

nfpgasmask
12/13/2006, 11:18 AM
When I took out my rear seats, I bought a roll of rubber matting and put that down. Problem was the rubber smelled REALLY bad, like tar. The smell was overbearing for at least a month or so, and now the smell has gone away...or maybe I just got used to it ;) I think if you just keep washing her eventually the odor will go away. I have a bottle of Armorall Ultimate Clean Protectant, and this stuff smells awesome. The leather lotions I use smell nice too.

IMHO, nothing is worse than the cigarette smell covered up with perfume. Especially on women ;puke2;

Bart

a lot of the carpeting would be easy to replace, the only place its really molded is in the front, but all through the rear the carpet is just kinda laying there..

havent done the headliner in the VX, but id imagine it would be fairly easy, ive done other headliners with no problems, usually the problem with headliners is dome lights, sunroofs etc, the roof of the vx is pretty clear, just use some good spray on adhesive and some patience

PHO2GR4
12/13/2006, 11:45 AM
I've got an Isuzu dealership right by the state automobile license agency. I stopped by Westlund Isuzu on the way to register the VX, and THEY gave it a good once-over. When they hooked it up to their computer, that's when they got the misfire error code (is it PO303?).

So, yes: error code with no CEL...but again, it's idling so rough that I KNEW something was up.

Remember, in an earlier post I said that the VX's gas tank was essentially bone-empty when I took delivery. The fuel light was on SOLID, so I know I was pretty much out of gas as I drove it to the gas station. I can see where the drive from FL to WA would give plenty of opportunities for condensation, or how driving it on "EMPTY" might have allowed some bottom-sludge to clog the injectors or something. Or worse, it's a combination of bad fuel/condensation/sludge/water/old plugs/coils/intake gasket/fuel pressure/EGR/PCV/GREMLINS.

I hate them gremlins.

On the other hand, there's a certain joy in taking a vehicle and restoring it to like-new condition. The VX is a special ride, and we really have to take care of the few that remain.

On the other topic, maybe I should put in an order NOW for those Chambers? I don't need them today, so a back-order is fine. Besides, can't they be ordered directly from AR's website? They DID finally send me an email from their tech department saying that I should have no problems with the 16" wheels OR the 17" wheels. I guess 18" is pushing it, although since the 2000-2001 VXs had 18" wheels, I don't see the issue.

EDIT POST: Never mind, it looks like the "wheelsforless" site IS AR's 'special' dealer. Thanks for that link!

PHO2GR4
12/13/2006, 11:54 AM

Patience? What's that?!?

I know, I know...I'll have to take this project on one step at a time. I want to do it all NOW, though!

Let's call it "enthusiasm" instead of "impatience". ;)

Sadly...yet, logically...it's the front carpet that seems the most worn and stinky. Like many VXs, I doubt there were many passengers stinkin' up the rear seats! For now I'll just shampoo the hell out of the front area, using some bio-enzymatic solution and lots of steam. Throwing out the old removable carpet mats and adding some new ones will also help. I rmember seeing some OEM Isuzu Vehicross mats on eBay awhile back, but they're gone now! And I worry that all of those cheapy aftermarket eBay mats will suck.

Again: patience!

Ldub
12/13/2006, 11:59 AM
Fuel filter would also be a good investment...
Also, how about unhooking the MAF or IAT or one of the other sensors to see if it will throw a CEL, just to make sure it works ?, then re-set it by disconnecting the batt.
Usually a CEL isn't "stop the car now SERIOUS" unless it's blinking.

Another option for the carpet & headliner is steam extraction. Though they should take it easy on the headliner.

My two cents 4 now...

PHO2GR4
12/13/2006, 12:21 PM
Thanks! I appreciate everybody's 2 cents and 4 cents. It all adds up to valuable input! Pretty soon I'll have, like, 62 cents worth of good info! :cool:

Good idea about trying to force a CEL. It would suck if my VX died because of a dead bulb!

Oh, and on a side note: we're all site supporters here already, right? It's WELL worth the investment!

nfpgasmask
12/13/2006, 01:27 PM
Yeah, the Chambers are pricey. Most retail shops want like $220 a pop, and with shipping it can be around a g-ball just for the rims! I do not think you can order direct from American Racing, at least I did not see an option for this on their site.

I bought some diamond plate rubber mats from Kragen and put these up front and took out the Isuzu carpeted mats. They don't fit EXACTLY perfect, but they look good nonetheless.

Bart

ZEUS
12/13/2006, 02:00 PM
I admit I merely browsed through this thread... so forgive me if this has been said... Maybe the Check Engine Light bulb has burned out?

etlsport
12/13/2006, 02:08 PM
next time you start your vx up watch for the CEL to come on, it should flash on when you first hit the ACC mode then go out after a second or two, if not its probably burned out

dont know if this is true of all vehicles.. but my buddys jeep used to throw a CEL weekly, and it would go out after a few days (intermittent sensor problem) but even when the CEL wasnt on, the code would stay on the computer until it was cleared out by battery disconnect or obdII scanner,

i asked a guy at the local autozone about it and he said that the CEL comes on as a result of a one time problem and the code is stored, after whatever the time period is of the problem not repeating, the light will go out but the code will be there.. makes sense to me kinda

like it was mentioned before, start with a fuel filter, mine was NASTY when i bought my vx with 40k.. run some fuel injector cleaner through.. check your air filter.. its always the small things

nfpgasmask
12/13/2006, 02:54 PM
Hey Etl, where is the fuel filter? Is this something that is easily cleaned/replaced?

Bart

next time you start your vx up watch for the CEL to come on, it should flash on when you first hit the ACC mode then go out after a second or two, if not its probably burned out

dont know if this is true of all vehicles.. but my buddys jeep used to throw a CEL weekly, and it would go out after a few days (intermittent sensor problem) but even when the CEL wasnt on, the code would stay on the computer until it was cleared out by battery disconnect or obdII scanner,

i asked a guy at the local autozone about it and he said that the CEL comes on as a result of a one time problem and the code is stored, after whatever the time period is of the problem not repeating, the light will go out but the code will be there.. makes sense to me kinda

like it was mentioned before, start with a fuel filter, mine was NASTY when i bought my vx with 40k.. run some fuel injector cleaner through.. check your air filter.. its always the small things

etlsport
12/13/2006, 03:16 PM
yep its very easy, one of the first things i did to my VX

its located on the passenger side about where the back seat would be under the vx just inside the frame rail.. its a cylinder about 4" long maybe 1-1/2" in diameter..

here is how i did it (this was about 6 months ago.. so if i forget something forgive me)

run your fuel tank as low as you dare (i was just under 1/2 tank when i did mine.. but next time will be much lower)
start VX
pull fuel pump fuse.. vx will stall
i disconnected my battery to make sure there was no sparking/exploding
get under vx, locate filter
unbolt filter
once its free, use vice grips (or a friend with pliers) to clamp off both sides of the hose, move clamps onto bare hose (look at new fuel filter to see how far it sticks into the hose) then you can pull the hoses free.. took a lot of effort for mine but it was in really really bad shape

i wasnt thinking straight and assumed gas wouldnt flow out of the tank after relieving pressure.. i was really wrong and got gas all over myself (luckily i was wearing safety glasses) i read that using golf tees is also very effective in plugging the hoses

plug the hoses into the new fuel filter (pay attention to direction, it does matter, i drew an arrow on it before i even got under the VX so i didnt have to look for the small one when i got down there

reclamp hoses

bolt fuel filter back in

replace fuse, reconnect battery

rinse and repeat as needed

ZEUS
12/13/2006, 03:23 PM

Hehe... I laugh, but I don't think you are kidding!

nfpgasmask
12/13/2006, 03:29 PM
Hmmm, sounds like a bit of a chore. What can a dirty fuel filter do? Cause rough running? Poor gas mileage? Etc?

Is there a way I can inspect mine to see if it needs help? Did you replace yours or just clean it?

Bart

yep its very easy, one of the first things i did to my VX

its located on the passenger side about where the back seat would be under the vx just inside the frame rail.. its a cylinder about 4" long maybe 1-1/2" in diameter..

here is how i did it (this was about 6 months ago.. so if i forget something forgive me)

run your fuel tank as low as you dare (i was just under 1/2 tank when i did mine.. but next time will be much lower)
start VX
pull fuel pump fuse.. vx will stall
i disconnected my battery to make sure there was no sparking/exploding
get under vx, locate filter
unbolt filter
once its free, use vice grips (or a friend with pliers) to clamp off both sides of the hose, move clamps onto bare hose (look at new fuel filter to see how far it sticks into the hose) then you can pull the hoses free.. took a lot of effort for mine but it was in really really bad shape

i wasnt thinking straight and assumed gas wouldnt flow out of the tank after relieving pressure.. i was really wrong and got gas all over myself (luckily i was wearing safety glasses) i read that using golf tees is also very effective in plugging the hoses

plug the hoses into the new fuel filter (pay attention to direction, it does matter, i drew an arrow on it before i even got under the VX so i didnt have to look for the small one when i got down there

reclamp hoses

bolt fuel filter back in

replace fuse, reconnect battery

etlsport
12/13/2006, 03:41 PM
i tend to ramble.. its actually not that bad.. i did mine in about 30 minutes and that includes being doused in gas and running inside to make sure it didnt run into my eyes

theres no real way to look at it and tell if it needs to be replaced.. when i pulled the output hose off of mine a strange yellow liquid that used to be gasoline came out... i think its a mineral filtering of some kind.. so once its dirty and clogged, thats it, time for a new one.. they are only a few bucks

a fuel filter can cause rough idle, poor gas mileage, clooged fuel injectors

my moms ford used to stall at anything under 1000rpms.. change of a fuel filter fixed the problem entirely

i also think that a dirty/clogged fuel filter will cause more crap to be in your exhaust too (which will in turn clog a cat)

btw i learned how to do mine from this forum, i forget who wrote up the directions for me, but its in a post i had awhile back about my issues with hard starting (since replacing it i havent had any trouble with hard starts either..)

nfpgasmask
12/13/2006, 03:46 PM
Cool, I'll look into doing this just to do it. Expensive part?

Bart

i tend to ramble.. its actually not that bad.. i did mine in about 30 minutes and that includes being doused in gas and running inside to make sure it didnt run into my eyes

theres no real way to look at it and tell if it needs to be replaced.. when i pulled the output hose off of mine a strange yellow liquid that used to be gasoline came out... i think its a mineral filtering of some kind.. so once its dirty and clogged, thats it, time for a new one.. they are only a few bucks

a fuel filter can cause rough idle, poor gas mileage, clooged fuel injectors

my moms ford used to stall at anything under 1000rpms.. change of a fuel filter fixed the problem entirely

i also think that a dirty/clogged fuel filter will cause more crap to be in your exhaust too (which will in turn clog a cat)

btw i learned how to do mine from this forum, i forget who wrote up the directions for me, but its in a post i had awhile back about my issues with hard starting (since replacing it i havent had any trouble with hard starts either..)

PHO2GR4
12/13/2006, 07:34 PM
I'm envisioning getting under my VX and starting the process without memorizing each step...pulling the hoses off, gas spraying everywhere, then pawing around for the instruction sheet..."let's see, let's see....um....oh yeah! Vice grips!" Gasoline everywhere.

I liked the "...make sure there was no sparking/exploding" line too. I hate it when there is exploding!

Serious question: are all fuel filters created equal?

I think they're all about, what? Twelve bucks or so?