PDA

View Full Version : ride comfort

coopcross
05/02/2003, 06:26 PM
Hi folks! I am going to test drive my first VehiCross tomorrow morning. I am curious about the ride. Is it really rough? Does it bang over bumps super stiff? If so, can one significantly improve the comfort by switching to gas shocks or with any other means>? Thanks

SPAZZ
05/02/2003, 07:16 PM
It's not that bad of a ride, but hitting speed bumps slowly or you will Hop and bounce!!!

Heraclid
05/02/2003, 07:24 PM
I just took home a VehiCROSS this past Saturday after test driving it. My experience is that the VX rides very nicely on smooth pavement. Pavement imperfections do give a firm kick, and it can bounce around a little on a poorly maintained road, but it always feels under control. It does feel a little stiff, but that is expected and this is a very capable off-roader. While it is deceptively heavy, the VX feels very surefooted and nimble on its feet. It performs well even in fairly aggressive cornering, with not a lot of body roll to speak of. Braking is impressive, and acceleration is not blistering but it is fun and among the quickest SUVs, at least for now. The turning radius is also a pleasant surprise. My understanding is that the stock shocks are pretty darned good ones and if you plan on doing any off-roading my initial feeling is that I'd probably leave them alone.

Heraclid
05/02/2003, 07:49 PM
I am 6'2" and the headroom is just enough for me and you have to have the seat right. Legroom is not an issue. When I test drove it, I was used to a different mechanism for changing the angle of the seat back and so throughout the test drive I felt way too reclined. If you use the lever on the side you will get one upright seat position, so use the adjacent knobs to fine tune it. I at first hadn't even thought to try those because on cars I've been in they didn't perform that kind of adjustment. I could see someone passing up this great vehicle over this, so wanted to say a word on it to you. Be thorough and really get to know the vehicle. Have fun!

Zu4two
05/02/2003, 08:08 PM
I would classify the ride as firm. Something interesting I've noticed. The faster/harder you hit a bump, the better the suspension does at smoothing it out. Things like speed bumps really jostle you when going real slow, but if you go faster, say 10 MPH, the truck glides right over them. The same is true on dirt roads, the faster you go, the smoother the ride.

Good luck with the test drive.

SPAZZ
05/02/2003, 08:20 PM
I wouldn't exactly say it "glides" over speed bumps.

Baxman
05/02/2003, 08:45 PM
No, but the point is that if you hit a speed bump at speed, it is much less noticeable than hitting it slow. They're called "speed bumps" because in a VX you have to hit them with speed ;)

AnalogVX
05/02/2003, 09:41 PM
Welcome! I think the ride is like a rocking horse effect at times. But for the most part it's not that bad. It is truck after all! :p

Some people swear by the Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks on other 4x4's. Say they really smooth out the ride when you need to.

BumbleV-X
05/02/2003, 10:40 PM
Define going over speed bumps.
Our other vehicle is a 73' Z28 Camaro. I have to crawl through most parking lots with speed bumps in the Camaro. The Vehicross takes them with style :) . Actually we had our back shocks changed to custom Dousch shocks. You barely feel the bumps. MAJOR difference!

IsuZOOM
05/03/2003, 08:28 AM
Yet another post of mine was deleted. I replied in this thread last night.

Anyway, I was mentioning how the VX uses a truck frame (ladder) so, it's never going to be as smooth as a car or car-based SUV, like an RX-300 or something. But I don't find it as jarring as other trucks, like Explorers and Blazers. It's certainly a truck, and you'll never forget that, but it's not uncomfortable, and it's plenty smooth on the highway.

SPAZZ
05/03/2003, 08:36 AM
I know people with Blazers and my brother has an Explorer. None of those even come close to the ruffness of hitting bumbs as my V.
I have never driven any other vehicle that is as ruff as the Vehicross, except maybe some ones low rider with no shocks and just springs. Is this because of short wheel base?

Not complaing, just stating a fact.

tomdietrying
05/03/2003, 02:41 PM
Yeah, I think the VX drives exactly like my old Susuki Sameri. I'm not sure what the wheel base was on the Sameri, but it was SHORT. I think that's why I love the VXs ride. It brings back a lot of good memories.

Andrey
05/03/2003, 08:55 PM
Putting on softer tires will definitely help. I've decided to go with Toyo Proxes S/T 275/60/R16 and my ride became MUCH nicer and smoother

coachreed
05/04/2003, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Andrey
Putting on softer tires will definitely help. I've decided to go with Toyo Proxes S/T 275/60/R16 and my ride became MUCH nicer and smoother

I definitely noticed a huge difference when I went from my 255/55/18's to my 285/60/18's... mre tire to give, so it rides a lot softer. All in all, I think the VX rides great. My past off road vehicles have included (but not limited to) '94 Wrangler, 95 Wrangler, '99 Wrangler, '93 F150. I love my VX!

Coach... aka Randy!